Long-distance trails for the rest of us

2:09 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Long-distance trails for the rest of us"

Guaranteed cure for dead-of-winter cabin fever: Planning a long hike! While it's fun to dream of glory on a six-month Triple Crowner, one of these lesser-known long trails might appeal to those of us who are a bit more, well, grounded.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/01/15/long-distance-trails-for-the-rest-of-us.html

11:11 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

You've missed my local favorite, the Ozark trail (ozarktrail.com). It runs for 227 continuous miles in Missouri if you add the other sections that haven't been linked together it's over 300 mile. It's actually longer than the Ozark Highlands Trail but someday the two will be connected to form a 700 mile long trail through the beautiful Ozark mountains.

11:38 p.m. on January 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Thanks much. The Trail's Trip Planner looks pretty cool.

1:28 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am still trying to find something to do in SW Pa. other than the LHHT. Its 70 miles and I wish it was 3 times as long but at the same time I am thankful for what I have. The scenery is beautiful....

8:20 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts
8:23 a.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Not on that list: River to River Trail through Southern Illinois. ... I can vouch for this being an amazing region (went to college in Carbondale).

1:36 p.m. on January 16, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

11:38 a.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hello Tom,

Can I publish this piece on http://outdoorbaby.net. I think it is a great resource for families who have older children that may want to plan a long backpacking trip.

Let me know,

Keep up the good work.

Heidi Ahrens

11:57 a.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

Hi Heidi. Thanks for the kind comments.

While Trailspace articles are owned by the site and can't be reproduced in full elsewhere, you are welcome either to 1) publish your own synopsis with quotes from the original and link to the article on Trailspace or 2) extract a small portion and link to the article.

Thanks for the interest and for asking about this.

11:20 p.m. on January 17, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

The Arizona and Idaho trails are a larger part of the Great Western Trail. It is not fully connected yet but there are plans to build the rest of the trails. When finished it will connect Montana to Arizona.

6:59 p.m. on January 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Good one Tom,

Winter is always a great time to sit back and dream about your next trip!

If anyone ever wants to do a couple of long ones in Australia there are

- Bibbulman Track - Western Australia – 1000 km (621 miles)
- Australian Alps Walking Track - 650 km (403 miles)
- Great South West Walk - Victoria – 250 km (155 miles)
- The Dreaming Trails – Queensland – 2000 km (1243 miles) (under construction)

It would take a fair bit of organisation to do them from overseas but I am very happy to give anyone advice if they are thinking about coming out "Down Under". The hiking bit is often the easiest, getting provisioned and to the start is often the hard bit!

2:15 p.m. on January 20, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

One of the best and one of the least hiked trails is the Alabama Pinhoti http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/ It is about 150 miles of woods walk. It ties in with the Georgia Pinhoti and eventually connects with the BMT. It is a great trail for solitude and when the weather further north is too cold or too unpredictable to venture into the backcountry.

6:21 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I really want the Mountains-to-Sea Trail to be completed. Has anyone heard a date on when the other 500 miles are supposed to be ready for hiking?

8:47 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

I have been looking at a brochure about the Arizona Trail. I would like to start it here in Flagstaff and go south. Its a multi-use trail with walkers,horses and mtn bike allowed the length, ecept for biking thru the section in the Grand Canyon.

Last March 2009 it was designated a National Scenic Trail by the US Congress and the President.

Its 800+ From Mexico to Utah.

www.aztrail.org

Clicking the map does'nt work that was just part of the image I saved.

2:59 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,255 forum posts

My niece's husband and a couple of his buds bicycled the full length of the trail a couple years ago. Well, they carried the bikes through the canyon, but at least they had them with them the full time. My niece drove the sag wagon, meeting them at various points along the way, bicycling back to meet them then continuing on a way past the sag and back (she's a professional mountain bike racer, so it was "just training").

3:10 p.m. on February 14, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

I once carried my touring bike across the canyon on a tour from Jackson Wyoming to Tucson AZ. The park ranger that looked at my camping permit at Bright Angel was not amused that I had carried it down to the bottom. He was telling me about not riding in the canyon, I said it was a roadbike and that I was hiking across instead of riding around.

Did they get any hassles for having Mtn bike in the canyon?

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply