Outdoor Retailer: Brunton Flip N' Drip

4:38 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,015 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Brunton Flip N' Drip"

This one is for all the backcountry coffee drinkers out there (I know from our forums that plenty of you exist). Brunton is introducing the Flip N' Drip coffee and tea maker next month. Weighing in at 16 ounces it's no lightweight, but if you think coffee is an essential piece of outdoor gear, it's worth a look. The Flip N' Drip (or, as I like to call it, the Flippin' Coffee Maker) makes 16 ounces...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/01/27/outdoor-retailer-brunton-flip-n-drip.html

1:22 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

wow, that gadget is a thing of beauty! definitely josh's fathers day gift this year. thanks for sharing!!!

4:20 p.m. on January 30, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

All that just to make coffee?

I'm sure it works well, and everybody probably takes a couple items they don't have to take.

I would take one car camping though.

3:32 p.m. on February 6, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

THE SIMPLE WAY TO MAKE A QUALITY TASTING CUP OF COFFEE

I learned a valuable lesson from studying the espresso machine. Water when heated between roughly 192 to 198 degrees F. will neither create burnt tasting coffee or bland tasting coffee. That particular temp. range generates "creama", a tan colored foam on the surface, an indicator that you've achieved a good coffee flavor. Using this bit of knowledge permits me to take a freeze dried Columbian Roast or better still an Arabica freeze dried coffee, "instant coffee" to make the simplest excellent tasting coffee. I've tried the usual supermarket brands of instant coffees with low flavor results. Trader Joe's sells a good tasting instant Columbian Roast. Arabica, the best tasting coffee is expensive but worth it. It's available at some specialty coffee suppliers and I noticed it for sale at a health food store. You could settle for coffee liquid concentrate packets in place of the instant coffee. I haven't tried them so I can't comment. You'll have to do a web search for them.

The combination of the right temp. and quality tasting instant coffee is the simple and light solution for hiking. No significant weight and volume intensive coffee making equipment required. With the equipment, the coffee will not taste as good due to the lack of temperature control. The proof is in the taste.

You need a small, light kitchen temperature meter to achieve the temp. range. First bring the water to a boil to keep the process simple. As the temperature drops, use the meter to verify being in the 192 to 198 degree F. range. Add the instant coffee and other ingredient(s) if preferred. Alternatively, if you heat the water independent of a drinking cup, place the instant coffee and other dry ingredients in the cup and add the heated water when ready. Without the use of the temp. meter it's impractical to judge the temp. range.

Regarding sweeteners, pure Stevia powder requires about 1/10th the volume and associative weight for the same sweetness of sugar. Unfortunately, it's not a source of carbohydrates as is sugar if that's your interest as well. Sugar is not a quality carbohydrate. Do any of you have a replacement solution for bad tasting powdered milk?

7:26 p.m. on February 7, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Performance......Although you may well be correct, your making it way too complicated for backpacking IMO.

I enjoy great coffee out on the trail without taking anything extra than my usual cook kit, but to each their own.

7:52 p.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Performance,

So you are saying that it is not possible to make an acceptable cup of coffee at altitudes above about 12,000 feet? No wonder some of my climbing partners have been so grouchy at high camp! (at 12,000 ft, the absolute pressure is 19 in. Hg, and the boiling point is 191.78 F; at higher altitudes the absolute pressure is lower, and the boiling point is lower). Luckily, at 27,000 ft (above the South Col on Everest), the absolute pressure is still 10 in. Hg., giving the boiling point at 175.11 F, well above the pasteurization temperature of 155 F.

11:32 p.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

trouthunter,
Making it way too complicated for backpacking IMO? Come on, or are you jesting? For one, what is IMO? Secondly, how difficult is it to verify the temperature of water with a temp. probe? Not at all. Most delicatessens use expensive drip equipment and the flavor is pathetic. The French Press provides a modicum of flavor enhancement due to pressing the grounds to give up their flavor. The espresso machine provides the proper temp. range to achieve the best flavor in the grounds of coffee. Pressure of 135 psi minimum in an espresso machine drives the water through the grounds to extract additional flavor. It's the flavor that counts in a cup of coffee. Are you telling me that you don't mind drinking mud, bland or burned tasting coffee? If so, OK, live with your mud. Maybe someday we'll catch up with each other on the trail and I'll give you a sample of what you've been missing all these years. I proved it to a fellow when I took him to a cafe' and asked the server to provide us with cups of coffee from freshly ground vanilla flavored coffee beans put into the drip coffee machine as well through the espresso machine. The drip machine generated bland and basically tasteless coffee versus a superb flavored coffee from the espresso machine. Trouthunter, get thee to a cafe' or catch up to me on the trail.

Bill S, Yes, altitude is obviously not a place to boil water with ease. Get yourself a pressure cooker and pump out those BTUs. That should add about three or more pounds of equipment to loft on a climb, leaving little room in your pack for spare clothing and gear as well as being a beast of burden. After you freeze your buns off up there, let us know how the coffee tasted.

10:49 a.m. on February 9, 2010 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

While it looks to me like a great idea, I agree with Trout. Its too big/heavy and clumsy for my needs. I have brought my small stove top expresso maker on a few trips which is now reserved for car camping. I prefer Nescafe Hazelnut Instant coffee with Coffee mate creamer. Couple of Ziplocks and ..voila! Fast & tasty coffee with nothing to clean besides my spork and cup!

1:17 p.m. on February 9, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

trouthunter,
Making it way too complicated for backpacking IMO? Come on, or are you jesting? For one, what is IMO? Secondly, how difficult is it to verify the temperature of water with a temp. probe? Not at all.

Performance.....IMO -( in my opinion)

I do not need a temp probe to know how hot my water is, I can tell by watching it, I've done testing at home and I just have a lot of experience cooking out on the trail.

I have had excellent coffee, and I can make pretty good coffee most of the time while camping with just my regular stove, pot, and a couple other items. Everything I take is multi purpose and extremely simple, so I'm not likely to take temp probes, french presses or any other items of that nature. Been there, done that.

You do it however you wish, more power to you or anyone else that has their own way of doing it.

11:53 p.m. on February 9, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

The same thing can be accomplished using a dripcone- a plastic funnel looking thing with small holes or fine wire mesh. The funnel holes are calibrated to allow the water to drip through the coffee at just the right rate. Too fast, and to many alkaloids come through and it's bitter. Too slow and not enough of the flavinoid oils come through and it's bland. The rate of the pour, the fineness of the coffee grind, and the water temp affect the outcome. It's not hard to get a good cup, but getting a great cup takes practise, finesse, a oneness with the universe. Like fly fishing or tarp pitching there is always something left to perfect in the technique. But we don't go outside because it's easy, do we?

I prefer to pregrind and premeasure good quality (Lavazza) coffee. I roll each dose into a Melita paper filters and zip-bag them. No measuring in the feild, they're ready to go. The filters line the dripcone and allow a finer grind without grounds slipping into the cup. Cleanup is easy. When I go minimal I skip the dripcone and suspend the filter over the cup by spearing it with a chopstick and pour over the filter. This can be precarious as it is possible to rip the filter if you pour too quickly. Looseleaf tea can be made using the same setup.

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtouseapourover

Performance, I get acceptable taste using UHT processed packets of cream (not "creamer") like you can find in some diners. They come in 1oz packets and require not refridge. I get them in a bulk pack at Sam's Club. I have cut a small "frothing paddle" from plastic that slips onto the end of my (square) chopstick. I immerse it inot the cream with a little water and twirl the chopstick between my palms to get a quick froth. You all do carry chopsticks, right? According to Julia it is the most necessary culinary item. And 1 billion Chinese can't all be wrong.

I also use a thermometer (is this the same as a temperature meter?) to acheive the correct range. I can make a good cup by estimating the temp after bringing the water to a boil and letting it cool off based on the ambient temp, but it's hit or miss and consistently making a great cup requires a thermometer. The thermometer is also useful for stovetop baking.

I have used other methods in the feild to get a good cup: French Press, Aeropress, stovetop espresso. All are good for deployments but to much equipment for backpacking. I definitely use a thermometer with the first two methods.

It is possible to make your own coffee liquid concentrate ("toddy") similar to the commercial coffee shots useing the "cold brew" method. I've never tried it but some really like it. You can buy a dedicated setup for this, or improvise one. Some say you should refridgerate the concentrate for flavor preservation. You reconstitute at about 3:1. An advantadge is you can make a good-tasting coffee with cold water.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/cold-brewed/

Hope I didn't come off here as a know-it all or (as I have previously been accused) a coffee snob. Just sharing.

2:42 p.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Yes I carry chopsticks, got some from Snow Peak, your right they come in handy.

I think 1 billion Chinese could be wrong about something.

I just grind my beans in the woods.

Thanks for the info, both Performance & Brimstone.

I still say you guys are making it too complicated, it's the woods.

HaHa, however you want to do it though!

6:55 p.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,272 forum posts

Barb and I carry chopsticks, too, for use with our wok that goes on many backpacking trips (the small GSI wok is excellent, and sometimes we use it at home instead of our big traditional wok).

11:24 p.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I knew I had seen this before. It's a "Neopolitan" style brewer. Probably been around a few hundred years:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/176461

4:53 p.m. on February 12, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Brimstone,

Thanks for supporting my claim that it takes a temp. probe/thermometer to verify the temp. range to obtain a quality tasting cup of coffee. If you heat a a quantity of water, air bubbles develop on the bottom and release to the top becoming larger in size as the temp. rises. There is no way to determine if you are in the proper temp. range without a thermometer or temp. probe, (similar device) as the water rises to the roiling boil state, 212 degrees F.

About five years ago I bought and tried the cold brew method but gave it up as it required storage due to the brew size, preparation time and loss of flavor over time. At home, I listen to the kettle as it's heating. When I hear the pressure drop and based on the amount of steam rising from the orifice, I remove the kettle and make my pour. Most frequently I achieve creama, sometimes a little and sometimes a decent quantity based on the temp. of the cup, atmospheric pressure, etc.. If I used my temp. probe I would be far more successful. I just keep it simple at home. Thanks also for the cream solution. Do you know of a milk solids solution? For the field I prefer dry goods as a means to prevent a potential mess. No, I don't think that you're a coffee snob. Trying to give others good info to achieve optimized results is philanthropy. Taste is where it's at! A good cup of coffee can be achieved. It took the two of us the research necessary to achieve it.

I've spent forty years developing inventions, designs and techniques to optimize numerous areas of hiking to improve speed, endurance, energy conservation and reduced fatigue. Regarding gear, the convertible pants, a less than 1/4 ounce alcohol type stove, a passive biomechanical device that increases speed by sixteen or more percent and am currently working on a pack that I trust will eliminate a good amount of the resistance to motion generated by the contemporary backpack.

6:01 p.m. on February 12, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey guys,

With a little experimentation at home it is quite possible to have a very good idea of your water temp while cooking outdoors.

For example, I have done trials with both my pot systems (titanium & aluminum), on both my Whisperlite, and my Bios 2.2 alcohol stoves.

Not only do I record boil times in varying ambient temps, but record the declining temps of the water after shutting down the stove, at 30 second intervals, again in varying ambient temps. This makes it quite possible to bring water to a boil, shut the stove down, and use a watch to determine the water temp. If you wish to maintain the water temp at any given point, or to negate the effects of wind chill, you can place an insulator over the pot or kettle, I use one I made out of Reflectix, some people use closed cell foam, but basically your making a cozy for the pot. This slows the heat loss way down. But if you plan on using an insulator to negate wind chill, you need to do the testing using one of course, I did the testing both ways. My favorite pot for alcohol stoves is just a Heineken mini keg wrapped in carbon fiber mesh which is flame proof, and helps insulates against wind chill, also serves as a convenient pot holder for when the pot is hot.

I have over the last couple years composed a chart for doing this, amongst other things, but it requires testing in outdoor locations, again at varying ambient temps in order to establish an accurate scale. My testing has not included altitude above 5000'.

10:46 a.m. on February 15, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

trouthunter,

So, another approach to arriving at crema temp. range. You've done some homework as well. Regarding your Heineken, I researched it over a year ago. I modified a 22 oz. titanium pot by cutting off the top of the pot just above the lower wing handle support, cut and modified the wing handles to fit the bottom supports. I also modified the lid to fit the pot without the rim. Water capacity is now 16 oz. which is all I use for coffee and reconstituting freeze dried meals. My only disappointment is that I don't have a lip having cut it off with the associated metal. Your Heineken is sold with an optional lip for carrying, not drinking, but I'm not sure.

If you want to get your "alcohol" type stove up to temp. quicker, use acetone fuel, available in hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.. It can be dangerous, so read the label if you intend to try it. It will generate a light soot on the stove, but easily cleaned off. You could add about 20 to 25% mineral spirits to eliminate the soot, but boil time will increase. "Alcohol" type stoves are inefficient in wind, cold temp. and altitude. It's simplicity, low weight and size make it appealing for warm weather use. Experiments at home with my less than 1/4 oz. homemade stove using acetone permits 16 oz of water at 70 degrees F, to boil in 3-3/4 minutes. Capacity/mass relationships need to worked-out to achieve a minimum boil time. It takes time for stove, fuel, pot, lid and cook water to warm up. Using acetone, limited amount of fuel and given stove, pot and lid size, I've been able to luck-out with achieving the above boil time. I had tested my stove in Fall, during a hike in wind without a shield and didn't achieve boil even with the approx. two plus additional minutes of run time. I'm curious to test the stove with different shields and insulation to achieve boil with wind. I had bought a thick alum. foil to try as well as a hitech insulator. I'll give Reflectix, a try. Thanks for noting it.

4:34 p.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Snowpeak titanium press, $30 -40 shipped on Ebay. Medium grind, a little creamer, cut & light cigar, enjoy.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply