About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Shackleton's Antarctic whisky found

9:24 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Shackleton's Antarctic whisky found"

Back in November we reported on the Antarctic expedition that would drill for the 100-year-old whisky that famed explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton left behind when forced to abandon his 1909 South Pole expedition. Here's the result: ...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/02/08/whiskey-found.html

9:54 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts
Re: Shackleton's Antarctic whiskey found

That's cool!

I wonder what a bottle would bring at auction?

10:04 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

A man returns, demoralized, after abandoning his bid for the South Pole. Others would later succeed, heralded as heroes. A hundred years later, we send people back for his hootch.

10:15 a.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Shackleton's trip to the south pole is possibly the most astounding adventure story ever. I've read a couple of different accounts, and can't get over how much he and his crew went through.

I especially think about it when I find myself whining about the weight of winter gear, his crew survived pretty well in the Antarctic for a few years with sodden sleeping bags and one change of clothes.

5:22 p.m. on February 8, 2010 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

MacKinlay & Co's product was not considered the best by discerning palates, or so I've been told, but that shouldn't surprise us, since the choice of whisky would've been required to balance duration of need with cost, space, and circumstances.

I expect it's still drinkable, but likely not quite the same as its original state. Sealed whisky keeps remarkably well in many circumstances, and in constant cold, oxidative insult would likely have been further held in check. But its primary draw for the whisky lover is as an oddity, not as a premium drink. It's a strong and interesting link to a famous explorer, but not much more than that. Kind of like a ball-point pen from a famous writer's desk, perhaps.

3:08 p.m. on February 9, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

That is really cool! Thanks for the link!

Perry Clark said:

It's a strong and interesting link to a famous explorer, but not much more than that. Kind of like a ball-point pen from a famous writer's desk, perhaps.

HAHAHAHA! what a great line!

10:56 a.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,073 forum posts

My question is why would Shakelton leave behind whiskey? Toss out some other junk if you're short on space and along the hootch.

12:23 p.m. on February 10, 2010 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree alan. That was a substantial over sight.

3:24 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

whiskey is from ireland, without the e it's the scottish stuff

8:05 a.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Thanks for the distinction, culchymuckty.

You sent this wordsmith off into the depths of the Internet to learn more about the whisky-whiskey distinction and read various style guides. I was compelled to change all of our Scottish whisky references to the non-e version.

12:29 p.m. on February 18, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Alicia, You just brightened this logophile's day!

11:43 a.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

I'm glad!

9:55 p.m. on February 23, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Maybe its says above somewhere. But what will happen to this whiskey that was found? Museum someplace, sold as antique drink or ?

1:28 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

For now, it's all being left where it was found, adhering to Antarctic conservation guidelines under the Antarctic Treaty System. The news reports said they were still figuring out how best to conserve what they found, but presumably it won't be going anywhere and will be part of the historical preservation.

No word on whether the whisky (no "e") makers in Scotland will or did get their sample.

2:08 p.m. on February 24, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Here's a 2008 video of three women conservators (Lizzie Meek, Anna Shepherd, and Jana Stefan) from the Antarctic Heritage Trust talking about their work at the historic 1908 Shackleton hut at Cape Royds in Antarctica.

12:19 p.m. on March 3, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

To think on just how far we have come on Leave No Trace behind... Now we send people out to pickup what others discarded...

:)

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply