Olympics Start Tonight

3:14 p.m. on February 12, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts
This thread is for comments on the article "Olympics Start Tonight"
In case you've been asleep (or better yet, off in the backcountry beyond the reach of modern communication, magazine covers, and advertising campaigns), the 2010 Winter Olympics open tonight (7:30 p.m. on NBC). While the Olympic coverage can be overly hyped and at times formulaic (X athlete overcomes X adversity in hopes of winning a medal and redemption), I like watching a number of th...
Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/02/12/olympics.html
4:14 p.m. on February 12, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

I'll add that while there are a number of high profile Olympic athletes, there are even more relative unknowns who deserve recognition for their hard work. One I'm rooting for is our local ski club's very first Olympic competitor: http://www.centralmaineskiclub.org/?p=213

My kindergartner practices weekly on the local trails with Pat Cote, Olympic athlete Ben Koons's high school coach. So, we can now joke that he has an Olympic ski coach. It's actually a fun program to get the kids out on skis, but it's pretty cool that it now has a local Olympic connection.

6:49 p.m. on February 12, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I bought a new tv today to watch the Olympics, of my other two, the newest was 20 years old.

Jim S

1:37 p.m. on February 13, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

So after selling my Moss tent I bought a new tv so I could watch the Olympics. As soon as the commercials were over and the Opening ceremony started they scrambled the signal. Oh sure it was supposed to be shown live here on the west coast. I'm not certain I want to support the construction of a billion dollar Olympics "hotel" while people starve living on the streets of Vancouver.

Jim

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply