About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Outdoor Gear Spring Cleaning

9:28 a.m. on March 29, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Gear Spring Cleaning"

As we make the transition from winter to spring, do you have a spring cleaning regimen for your outdoor gear? Clean gear makes for better functioning and longer-lasting gear. And well-organized gear gets you outside faster, with the right stuff.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/03/29/gear-spring-cleaning.html

9:54 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Oh, I thought maybe we were gonna clean the "outdoors", not a bad idea.

Actually I will probably wash a bunch of stuff (jackets and pants) in goretex wash and then do the wash in DWR and then dry em in a hot dryer to activate everything.

Us dirtbags don't really want to be seen with a bunch of shiny clean gear so I won't clean my tents. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I threw my pack into a washing machine recently, but since its an $850 pack I wanted it at least look like spectra since everybody goes "wow is that a spectra pack?"

Jim S

7:38 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
47 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Storage of gear can make a big difference. Storing in open net bags things like tents and sleeping bags. Then hanging it off floors will help keep it fresh and ready to go

8:17 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I usually pick a brutally hot mid-summer weekend and do this, as I can hang stuff outside to dry in the shade. I also "Obenauf" my various boots then and thus get'er all done in 3-4 days. Sometimes, if I get all the work done and everything is drying, there is time for a couple of BEERS!!!!

Jim S......What is your ...$850.00... Spectra pack, a McHale? I know a guy who bought a huge pack from Dan, on my recommendation as he is rich and has everything else and he had it coloured a neat mossy green as he hunts with it. This is a "full Dyneema" rig and it nearly made me sell all my various MRs and Bozeman DDS plus the few others I have and get one like it......really super stuff and packs made from it are the way to go, IMO, lighter and tougher than 1000D whatever.

11:41 a.m. on April 21, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Thanks Alicia for the tips. Perfect indoor activity for a cool, rainy spring day.

I agree with others in saying proper storage is very important. Be sure to test your equipment. I'm glad you pointed out the first aid kit. Lots of things in there that can expire! Water purification tablets expire too - check them as well..

2:16 p.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks for the article.

I've been setting up a spare bedroom as an outdoor / camera / my stuff gear area. Getting my printer out of the living room is something both my wife and I have wanted to do since I got it.

Will be nice to have my camping stuff better organized and in one location. Right now some in in the garage, some in the laundry room, and some in the pantry.

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply