Photo Contest Winners: Outdoors Landscape

8:14 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,997 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Photo Contest Winners: Outdoors Landscape"

Thank you to everyone who entered and participated in the first Trailspace member photo contest. Here are the top-voted winners, out of 98 entries, in the Outdoors Landscape category, along with some words from the photographers about themselves and their photographs.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2010/04/19/photo-contest-landscape.html

10:09 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Props to whoever suggested the photo contest -- my only regret is the rest of you don't get to do fun stuff like this as part of your job.

Even more props to the winners and everybody who submitted pix -- talk about a win-win situation: even if your shot doesn't make the final cut, you know you took it while doing something you love in some of the prettiest places on the planet.

And besides, a winning shot requires a combination of luck and skill that can evade even the most seasoned professionals. Two photojournalists can cover the same news event and one will walk away with a Pulitzer-winning capture of an image that might've happened while the other shooter is sneezing or futzing with a camera setting. (True story: I worked with a guy at the paper in Tampa who was out shooting a picture of an intersection where a small town nearby was debating the need for a stoplight. As he was shooting, a car crashed into a travel trailer -- happened right in his viewfinder. Amazing luck).

I've heard at least a few anecdotes about people who have stopped taking pictures on their outdoor outings, reasoning that the process of photography interferes with enjoying nature. Other side of the coin is that going to beautiful places is your best bet for bringing home beautiful pictures. Given that about 99 percent of the snapshots I take anywhere else are duds, I'll keep taking pictures of mountains and waterfalls and sunsets because they offer my best chance for actually taking good pictures.

10:19 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

The photo contest was very enlightening for me, I learned a lot, plus it was much more personal than looking at a calender.

This has given me something to "shoot" for, and I'm eager to get a real camera now and see how my photos turn out with some better equipment and some practice.

So many of the photos were really good, for varying reasons.

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all for giving me such a large assortment of photos to look at and enjoy!!

10:36 a.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,997 forum posts

Trouthunter was too modest to mention that he is the one who suggested the contest. So, he's one of our unofficial contest winners! (I'm sending you hats too, Trout!)

I agree that it is nice to learn more about our members in such a personal way and see where they go and what they do. I hope we can continue to recognize our members in ways like this.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

12:24 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I've heard at least a few anecdotes about people who have stopped taking pictures on their outdoor outings, reasoning that the process of photography interferes with enjoying nature.

That's interesting. Kind of the opposite for me. I got back into backpacking and day hiking to help my lack of photography skills. If it weren't for a passion for trying to figure out which end of the camera to look through, I probably wouldn't have spent the money, time, and effort accumulating gear for those trips I've taken in the past 5 months and the ones I will be taking.

1:29 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Thanks for having the contest! It was great seeing all the different types of photographs submitted. As for stopping taking a camera, I found during the 80s and 90s when I shot 1000s of shots a day, I got to where I would mainly go out looking for shots and not actaully see the scenery.

I really like that main shot in the landscapes of the mountains. That is a great shot!

Me, today after getting my summer haircut...

2:17 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Yes I enjoyed everyones photos of their adventures. Congrats to all the winners too! :) Great contest and thank you Trailspace for having it!

2:21 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

As for stopping taking a camera, I found during the 80s and 90s when I shot 1000s of shots a day, I got to where I would mainly go out looking for shots and not actaully see the scenery.

For possible future reference, do they have a 12 step program for that? :-)

10:27 p.m. on April 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Whats the name of the double peak in the shot?

11:21 a.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I believe it is called Sundial Peak. I am not too sure because the signs only mention that you are hiking to Lake Blanche and I haven't looked at a map to check the names of the peaks. If you ever get a chance, you should hike up there - as you can see, it's beautiful. Thanks everyone for all the votes!

11:40 a.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Great photos. The forest fire photo is a once in a lifetime pic.

11:17 p.m. on April 20, 2010 (EDT)
18 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

All the photos are amazing but Transition is definitely my new desktop background

12:27 a.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Congrats you all, I wasn't surprised from the results and emjoyed participating in recognizing your noticable performance! cheers!

12:42 a.m. on April 22, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I just joined and missed the voting but, as a "hobbyist that sells photos" (a.k.a. semi pro?) I would like to send out a huge WOW to Khristian. Stunning image. You've captured the quintessential essence of "being at the right place at the right time." Some of the things on your site are great as well. Best of luck and kudos to TS for providing the forum.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply