Camping in the backyard, gateway to the backcountry

9:30 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Camping in the backyard, gateway to the backcountry"

Trailspace is a backcountry site first and foremost. Many of our members tend to be quite serious outdoorspeople (well, let's call them “accomplished” or “dedicated,” because they're not always that serious). Some have decades of impressive outdoors accomplishments and wilderness skills. Given that, you might wonder, why would a backcountry site care about something so ele...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/06/14/backyard-camping.html

9:03 a.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Excellent Article, thank you.

I am one of the oldest siblings in a family of 11. I lament the fact that most of my younger brothers and sisters have not spent but a fraction of the time in the outdoors that I did growing up.

My current project is to build and gather the gear to properly, though meagrely, outfit them each with what they need to go backpacking. I don't really care if they go with me, I just want them to be equipped to get out there, experience, and learn.

At this point I have bought or made for each of them:

> Good pack...................................$70

> Water bottles/resevoir...............$10

>First Aid and Survival kit..............$25

>Hiking stave................................$0

>Cooking set.................................$20

>Alcohol Stove (home made presurized that boil 1qt water in 8min, & burn for 1hr on 3.5 oz fuel)...................$5

>Sleeping Bag..............................$40

>Shelter.......................................$25

>Rain Gear...................................$25

>Sythetic Clothes.........................$45

Total...........................................$200

12:21 p.m. on June 17, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
670 reviewer rep
3,092 forum posts

That's great, gonzan! Good for you, and your siblings. I think outdoor gear and the opportunity to use it is a great gift.

I hope they appreciate and enjoy what you're doing for them.

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply