Hiking the Appalachian Mountain Range, Pangaea style

6:30 p.m. on June 27, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,997 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Hiking the Appalachian Mountain Range, Pangaea style"

After hiking more than 2,000 miles over the Appalachian Mountains from George to Maine, AT thru-hikers may feel like they've walked the entire mountain range. Some Appalachian Mountain purists may just be getting started once they reach Mount Katahdin however. (Image credit: Dropzink/Wikimedia Commons) For more than a decade thru-hikers have been able to hike an additional 1,800-mile stretch of t...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/06/27/intercontinental-at.html

3:13 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Well...thank God for pack rafts, can you put a sail on pack rafts?

What will they think of next, an Equator trail?

Very interesting Alicia, thanks.

5:15 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

The Appalachian mountains are actually quite worn down from the days when the super-continent Pangaea was here are'nt they. I read onve they were high than the Rockies are now millions of years ago.

nd one could hike the Rockies starting in Alaska and go all the way to the southern tip of South America or about what 20,000 miles?

6:43 p.m. on June 28, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,997 forum posts

Yes, Gary. I've read in numerous sources that the Appalachians were at least as high the Rockies and that the Pangean range they were originally part of is believed to have been higher than the Himalayas. Time changes all.

Good call on the pack raft, Trout! Maybe you can be the first to do the whole thing!

1:01 p.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Anybody done much of the Canadian section?

1:21 p.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

You know Alan I have not done anything on the AT farther north than Clingman's Dome in the Great Smokey Mountains (more correctly the Unaka's) of NC.

I have often wondered if I would enjoy the Canadian section more based on the notion that it would have less traffic (?). I have not done any research to amount to anything, and I would have to bone up on my cold weather skills, but I think I would love it.

What do you think?

10:52 p.m. on June 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

I know little to nothing about the Canadian section. I tend to do better in cooler climates than the hot, humid sections in the south.

10:08 a.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

I gues these days one would need a passport/visa to hike in Canada?

10:58 a.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Yes. I was thinking of a family road trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario for a weekend (about 6 hours) and we would need to bring our passports as well.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply