Trekking Poles: Fit, Maintenance, and Tips (Part 4)

1:48 p.m. on July 7, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Trekking Poles: Fit, Maintenance, and Tips (Part 4)"

You've purchased a brand new pair of shiny trekking poles. Now that you have them in hand, how do you get the most value out of them? Proper fit, maintenance, and correct use are all key.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/trekking-poles-fit-maintain.html

11:42 a.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

This weekend, on a long hike with my father, we had a real "Know When to Quit" trekking pole moment. My father, who hikes (well!) on two artificial hips, was using his trekking poles. We came to chimney of rock that required a lot of rock-climbing. My father, who doesn't carry something unless he uses it often, was applying the inverse rule, using something often just because he was carrying it. It took come convincing to get him to stow the poles, but when he did, the rock-climbing portion of the hike was a lot easier.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply