Gear: You say hydration pack, I say party on my back

8:06 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Gear: You say hydration pack, I say party on my back"

The other evening, I was walking to a restaurant here in Maine. The town was happening that night — a summer festival, boat races on the river, people out and about on foot and bike near a rail trail — when two young, fit-looking men got out of a nearby car. One, presumably a runner or hiker, was wearing a hydration pack, which I naturally noticed (the same way I instinctively look to...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/07/19/camelback-hydration-party-pack.html

9:03 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

My friend puts alcohol in his camelBak also..He's the only one that I know of that does that, everyone else either puts water or some kind of sports drink in it.

11:04 p.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Stainless Flasks are for booze.

I suggest Absolut steeped in fruit for 2 weeks, then strained. Flavored and strong to be cut with H20, or enjoyed neat.

As for the camelbak, and its use there, it at least shows ingenuity in terms of escaping detection.... Maybe Dude shouldn't brag aloud to maintain his gig, but...

If it was flushed the next day with a baking soda/H2O solution, then H2O, would that clean it?

And how does the material within react to alcohol? Would it cause disintegration? Apart from legality, that would be my only worry.

I can imagine a Camelbak clad gal at a nude beach, selling shots and earning a year's tuition.

1:10 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

When filled with alcohol does it then become a de-hydration pack???

4:25 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

This whole thread is dring me to drink! Where's Johnny!

Ed

7:39 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

When filled with alcohol does it then become a de-hydration pack???

"Dehydration pack" was part of my original headline.

Stainless Flasks are for booze.

Unless you are overly concerned about capacity, like this guy was.

8:02 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Good God, how much liquor can one person drink in a night? A standard fifth of booze is 750ml, and your standard reservoir is upwards of 2 liters! Was he really carrying 2+ bottles of booze with him?!

8:04 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Maybe he wanted to share?

7:42 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I live in Louisiana and am a member of the LA Hiking Club. We have member who comes on all hikes with a 2 litter bladder full of ice cold beer. Never water, only beer.

10:03 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Bethel kids...

10:09 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

Bethel kids...

Nice try! It was Hallowell though.

11:20 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I always thought that people razzed me about having alcohol in my hydration pack because I am in my early twenties, which apparently predisposes me to constant drinking. Of course as soon as I convince someone its really water, the next question is "So, you're dehydrated from drinking last night?"

12:13 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,056 forum posts

Oddly, I spoke to an ultra-marathoner recently who really praised a beer or two after 50 miles. He said that his metabolism was so fast by then that the booze bypassed his liver and was used as a complex carb. With several hundred calories, and convenient packaging, I think this deserves a try!

3:48 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

There's already a product called the Beerbelly (thebeerbelly.com) that does that, and as you can guess by the name, it is worn on the front for smuggling beer into events.

9:52 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Seth, a friend of mine told me about a study that confirmed this belief, I was skeptical, but sure enough I found an article on it:

http://www.backpacker.com/beer_hydrate_water/blogs/daily_dirt/1074?utm_source=newsletter01&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter0

I started a separate thread in the off topic section, though I'm beginning to to think that it would have been perfectly appropriate here...oh well:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/off-topic/topics/75539.html#75539

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply