New Feature: Forum Email Subscriptions

7:39 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "New Feature: Forum Email Subscriptions"

Earlier today we launched a new feature to help keep Trailspace members up-to-date with threads of personal interest in the Trailspace forums. Subscribing to a forum Subscribing to a specific forum (for example, Backcountry, Gear Selection, Climbing, Paddling) will give you a daily email notification listing all new topics posted in that forum. To subscribe to a forum, just click the "Subscribe" l...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/07/21/forum-email-subscriptions.html

8:06 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's super Dave, thank you sir.

1:12 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
101 forum posts

Dave,

You might consider making the default on the check box for

'notify me by email of comments on this post'

as blank so you don't generate a lot of unintended emails for people. Opt-in is always my preference. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea.

10:11 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,047 forum posts

Cool feature Dave. I'm using more RSS these days.....

11:08 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nice feature :) Thanks Dave

I agree, though, that I would rather not have to remember to un-check the box every time I don't want to be notified. Most of the time I don't think I would want notifications, but when I do it will be nice to have the option to check the box

11:13 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback.

SnowGoose: I've seen it done both ways, and I'd been going back and forth on that one. Some people like to get notifications on everything thread in which they've posted; others never want a single email. Maybe I'll set it up as an account preference, so you can choose whether or not the box is checked by default.

Seth: What do you typically look for / like in an RSS feeds for a forum?

3:37 p.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

I've modified the behavior of the "notify me" checkbox a little bit. It's now unchecked by default, unless you're already subscribed to the thread, in which case it's checked.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply