Gear Maker Profile: Doug Clark of GoLite Footwear

2:00 p.m. on July 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Gear Maker Profile: Doug Clark of GoLite Footwear"

Doug Clark has ridden a rollercoaster with GoLite Footwear, standing by his brand when a corporate giant gave up on it. Now he's hoping his "upside-down" approach to shoe technology, one designed to work with the natural human gait, will provide a foothold in the highly-competitive outdoor shoe market.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2010/07/23/doug-clark-golite-footwear.html

11:39 p.m. on July 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I do not see how his boots have any lasting power to them..... I would think the foam would just crush over a short time.

Would like to know.

I wear 15 year old Asolos that are heavy but super comfy. Nothing has broken down on those boots either.

5:21 a.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I am not sure I buy into Doug’s theory on suspension systems, for example where on a cougar does the suspension system end and the payload begin? And what is the payload; obviously the creature’s head qualifies, but does it include their guts, too, what else? Additionally most suspension systems have alternating layers of soft and hard; soft tire, hard rim, soft shock, hard chassis, soft motor mount (or bucket seat), etc. Same goes for the bodies of creatures. Likewise for a human.

In any case I don’t “bag peaks” or trail race, so Go-lites are not directed at my activities. I pack heavy by most peoples standards, thus like a stiff boot with a shank to protect from stone bruises on rough trails. Like Noodle, I have gone with Asolos for forty years, and replace them only when the seams start to burst from age.

8:49 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Ed ............. He packs heavy loads. He da Man!

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply