Outdoor Retailer: "Lightest Double-Wall Shelter in the World"

9:02 a.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: "Lightest Double-Wall Shelter in the World""

Terra Nova's double-walled tent tips the scales at just over a pound, but you'll want to check the sticker price before jumping for joy.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/08/05/outdoor-retailer-terra-nova.html

7:23 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Pretty cool but makes me wonder how many people would spend what, $450.00 or so on losing two pounds of body weight? It's all gotta be carried no matter where.

7:53 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Terra Nova has been on the market for some time, and I know they are popular among the utra-lighters with their tents here in Norway. We have much of the same weather as England, maybe a notch or to even worse. Up till now it has been the Laser Photon and Laser Photon Elite that has been used. I guess the weather here resembles Alaska in many ways.

8:54 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

Let me get this straight: It's too short to sit up in, it's too snug for a full size sleeping pad . . . and the most important stat is left out: The interior square footage. I guess I'll keep my 8 lb tent.

9:10 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I like the ability of older folks with reason............

10:32 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Let me get this straight: It's too short to sit up in, it's too snug for a full size sleeping pad . . . and the most important stat is left out: The interior square footage. I guess I'll keep my 8 lb tent.

With a first name of "Tipi", I would be very astonished if you had plans to buy one of these. Nor would I, we both perhaps are getting too soft and comfort demanding. I am at least.

But some sacrifice gladly the roomy normal size tents for a few pounds less to carry. It is almost become a religion to many, and when religion enters reason exits.

10:59 p.m. on August 5, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

No thanks about 400 dollars over my tent budget...

12:33 a.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

Beautiful Tent!

Designed for the extra ultra light and the extreme racers.

The Laser(s) are a series..a 2.6lb spacious two person for example made of the better grade siliconized nylon.. and I believe <$400.

By the way I'm not tall, but the Laser Ultra 1 is plenty long and I can sit up.

and it is so Cool!

Elder

No, I do not work for them...yet 8)

5:52 p.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

For $700.00 it could weigh 12lbs for all I care. If I pay $700 I expect it to come with someone to carry it for me.

7:26 p.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

If the footprint of this tent is a non tapering rectangle, it has a "spacious" 17.3 sq. ft.

I have a Walrus Microswift with 20 + 4(vestibule) sq. ft. that weighs 2.85 lbs. and 1/6 the price.

3:02 p.m. on September 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

I finally got the stats for square footage on the Ultra Laser.

20.61 interior/5.6 vestible.

The Laser Competition..2.02lbs, 22.03 sq.feet/10.23 vestibule.

Retail $350. The interior height is 37.4. The Ultra is not available until March 2011, but the Laser Competition and Photons are available now.

Thanks

3:36 p.m. on September 27, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

What Otto leaves out is that he has that great hut system he told us about last winter. So, who needs a tiny tent when you have a hut to stay in? I've stayed in huts in New Zealand and even the simple ones beat a tent anytime, especially in bad weather.

9:16 p.m. on September 28, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

What Otto leaves out is that he has that great hut system he told us about last winter. So, who needs a tiny tent when you have a hut to stay in? I've stayed in huts in New Zealand and even the simple ones beat a tent anytime, especially in bad weather.

I agree. But...

Have you ever tried to carry a hut?

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply