Outdoor Retailer: Platypus, MSR, Therm-a-Rest

11:35 a.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Platypus, MSR, Therm-a-Rest"

New hydration packs, tents, cookware and sleeping gear from Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2010

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/08/10/outdoor-retailer-platypus-msr-therm-a-rest.html

1:19 a.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

How is the "Fast Stash" an upgrade on the "Missing Link", my go to tent for solo or w/ gf...

It comes with poles now? I havent quite got to the hiking pole stage yet, and so bought an old tent from a thrift store, and hacked its poles to the right level.

I paid $119 from REI outlet 3 yrs ago... $299 seems ludicrously excessive.

Interesting stuff, though and I am glad I read your report.

Thanks

edit--- I went a googlin and found the difference...Mesh ends with a cantilevered covering that is able to be played with. Also it seems they have eliminated the low mesh venting on the back of the tent.

6:26 a.m. on August 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

MSR gear is never cheap, no doubt about that, though it can be found used on eBay or via the route you found.

Here's what the press release from MSR says about the Fast Stash:

"This versatile, ultralight shelter offers full protection and ample room for two in a single-wall that pitches quickly with included poles or trekking poles for added weight efficiency. A front porch and adjustable side wings add external coverage and allow maximum ventilation in a broad spectrum of weather conditions. To stash gear for a day hike, poles can be pulled out to collapse shelter but re-pitched easily upon return."

These are the pix MSR provided:

Full retail is for the "I must have it now" crowd.

4:06 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Tom,

Do you have any pic's of the AC Bivy?

4:11 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

Here you go:

10:25 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Thanks Tom

11:03 p.m. on August 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

What am I missing? The NeoAir Trekker is considerably heavier than the original NeoAir! And it doesn't look like the Trekker is priced very reasonable for the weight. A big reason the NeoAir is so popular is due to the weight, or lack of weight of the pad. So, what gives?

I must admit, the NeoAir is by far the most comfortable pad I have slept on, period. However, there are others that are quite comfy as well. But again, what made me decide to shell out the big $$$ for the NeoAir is the light weight.

What gives?

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply