The Long Walk: A long story without an ending

4:32 p.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "The Long Walk: A long story without an ending"

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz is an epic story of human survival. A Polish prisoner of war escapes a WWII Soviet Gulag labor camp in 1941 and walks, with a few other escapees, 4,000 miles across the Siberian arctic, Gobi Desert, and Himalayan mountains to safety in British India. It's an amazing story, and when I first read it more than a decade ago I was thoroughly enthralled and inspired. (...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/11/30/the-long-walk.html

1:00 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Yes too bad it's a fake but it is a fake. Did it really happen to the other guy? Maybe but there are passages that are downright unbelievible no matter what. Weeks in the desert with nary a drop of water or seeing a couple of Yeti in the Himalaya's. It is a good read if you can suspend reality while you read it.

1:56 p.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,083 forum posts

I also read the book about a decade ago and the book is a very compelling read.  Sad the story is not true.

9:29 p.m. on December 2, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

I haven't read the book, I'll probably watch the movie.

I do however have a friend who defected from Czechoslovakia years ago and made his way to Austria, where he was granted political asylum, by walking and getting rides when he could. He eventually gained American citizen status.

He just wanted to be free. Now he is.

12:39 p.m. on December 3, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

I haven't read the book, I'll probably watch the movie.

I do however have a friend who defected from Czechoslovakia years ago and made his way to Austria, where he was granted political asylum, by walking and getting rides when he could. He eventually gained American citizen status.

He just wanted to be free. Now he is.

That sounds like a very interesting personal story. I imagine he has a strong will and character.

5:40 p.m. on December 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I found the book fascinating a decade ago as well and I am now very disappointed to have been duped.  It makes you wonder if editors and publishers make any effort to corroborate the stories they publish as nonfiction.  Would I have enjoyed the book if I thought I was reading fiction at the time? I'll never know.

7:10 p.m. on December 7, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I liked The Long Walk short story by Stephen King, under the name of Bachman.

12:40 p.m. on December 8, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Would I have enjoyed the book if I thought I was reading fiction at the time? I'll never know.

I wondered the same thing. Probably not in the same way.

I liked The Long Walk short story by Stephen King, under the name of Bachman.

That story sounded interesting too (and in this case, we know it's fiction!).

I don't tend to read Stephen King much, despite living in Maine, but I liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which deals with a girl lost during a hike in Maine.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply