Good Outdoor Books for Children

6:00 a.m. on March 2, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Good Outdoor Books for Children"

Outdoor kids books can be doubly rewarding: You share time reading, learn about the natural world, and help inspire kids to get outdoors and connect with nature. In honor of Read Across America Day March 2, here are some favorite outdoorsy children's books.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/03/02/outdoor-kids-books.html

4:29 a.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

This is a wonderful post, Alicia. I only recognise a few, so I will bookmark this for the future.

We buy a lot of picture books but I have never considered looking into this category for younger children. Thanks!

6:34 a.m. on March 3, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Thanks, Pathloser.

Kids books and the outdoors combine two of my favorite things. I admit, the list above is highly unscientific, just ones we have at home that we've enjoyed. I also don't know older kids books that well, yet. If anyone has other suggestions, please share them.

If you're ever looking for a book for a young child, I highly recommend Owl Moon from the list above. It's lovely.

Also, the message in Henry Hikes to Fitchburg is relevant to all hikers and walkers.

But, a real expert, my preschooler says Toot and Puddle are her favorites, especially Top of the World. (I also love Toot and Puddle.)

9:28 a.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

As a former school librarian, I found survival books were always popular with the 4th-6th grade boys and some of the girls.

A couple of good survival stories for grades 4-8, the first one true and the second one fiction.

Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn Fendler and Joseph B. Egan 

Hatchet by Garry Paulsen

Wonderful non-fiction and fiction focused on wildlife and the great outdoors for elementary age (and younger) children are books by Jim Arnosky, naturalist, author and artist.  His Drawing From Nature is a classic and would be especially good for an artistic kid - it might even get an "indoor" kid to venture outdoors.  He has books on specific animals from all parts of the country (maybe even world), tracking, bugs, fishing, drawing, etc.  Look for A Crinkleroot's 25 Mammals Every Child Should Know.  He has so many published books that a search through Amazon would be in order to find what might appeal to your youngster.

6:48 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,169 forum posts

Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn Fendler and Joseph B. Egan 

Thanks for those suggestions, Mimi.

I can't believe I completely neglected to mention Lost on a Mountain in Maine, even though I met Donn Fendler a few years ago and had him sign my own copy of the book.

7:26 p.m. on March 14, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
950 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Trouble with Trolls and The Mitten by Jan Brett.

1:00 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Some good non-fiction books for kids:

Camp Out!: The Ultimate Kids' Guide by Lynn Brunelle

Cooking On A Stick: Campfire Recipes for Kids by Linda White

Cooking in a Can: More Campfire Recipes for Kids by Katherine L. White

Sleeping In A Sack: Camping Activities for Kids by Linda White

Trekking on a Trail by Linda White

Fishing In A Brook: Angling Activities for Kids by G. Lawson Drinkard

Wishing on a Star: Constellation Stories and Stargazing Activities for Kids by Fran Lee

Hiding in a Fort: Backyard Retreats for Kids by G. Lawson Drinkard

Sharing Nature with Children, 20th Anniversary Edition by Joseph Bharat Cornell

5:19 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Not an outdoorsy book,  but a nature staple is "The Lorax" of course.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply