It's International Women's Day: Celebrate Women Outdoors

10:31 a.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "It's International Women's Day: Celebrate Women Outdoors"

It's the 100th International Women's Day. Celebrate the amazing outdoor women and girls you know or the one you already are (44 percent of outdoor participants are female according to a 2010 OIA participation report). You also can introduce more women and girls to the outdoors on a hike, snowshoe, ski, or climb. Join a women's climb or outdoor skills class. Invite a girl on a hike. Introduce someo...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/03/08/international-womens-day.html

1:23 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

The Accidental Adventurer is a fitting title for this book.  Barbara was not a mountaineer.  A more apt description at that time was she is the wife of a mountaineer who somehow coaxed his spouse to accompany him on this very physical adventure.  It speaks volume of her love for her husband, as well as her sheer moxie. 

This book is good read because of the story; but also because of the wonderful chemistry between Barbara and her husband Bradford permeates the prose.  Published in 2001, it is still available. 

Ed 

8:43 p.m. on March 9, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

The Accidental Adventurer is a fitting title for this book.  Barbara was not a mountaineer.  A more apt description at that time was she is the wife of a mountaineer who somehow coaxed his spouse to accompany him on this very physical adventure.  It speaks volume of her love for her husband, as well as her sheer moxie. 

This book is good read because of the story; but also because of the wonderful chemistry between Barbara and her husband Bradford permeates the prose.  Published in 2001, it is still available. 

Ed 

I agree. I got this book as a gift several years ago, and while I knew a lot about Bradford Washburn I knew next to nothing about his wife before reading her memoir.

It's a really enjoyable read. I liked her for her spirit and for her and her husband's relationship.

1:21 a.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
708 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

Love the photo of your grandmother, especially the Brownie camera near her. History is filled with remarkable women. Mina Hubbard completed her husband's expedition in Labrador in the early 20th century, Beryl Markham is always an inspiration. So many more.

6:49 p.m. on March 12, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Love the photo of your grandmother, especially the Brownie camera near her. History is filled with remarkable women. Mina Hubbard completed her husband's expedition in Labrador in the early 20th century, Beryl Markham is always an inspiration. So many more.

Thanks, Erich. That photo is a favorite of mine too.

I've had West with the Night by Beryl Markham on my to-read list forever.

Mina Hubbard sounds interesting. I'll have to learn more about her.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply