Gear Explained: Synthetic Insulation

4:15 p.m. on April 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Gear Explained: Synthetic Insulation"

Both synthetic and down insulation have their advantages and disadvantages. Which is “best” for outdoor use depends on your needs, preferences, and budget. To pick the right one for your backcountry adventures, you first need to understand what synthetic and down insulation are and what they do. ...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/synthetic-insulation-explained.html

9:39 a.m. on April 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi

Was wondering how good Thinsulate is compared to other synthetic insulation. Apparently it only absorbs 1% of its weight when wet!

6:49 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have acquired many, many insulated articles / items over a few decades, including sleeping bags ... as mentioned here in the post-topic.   Both, down (various fill-ratings) and synthetics (hard to keep up with all of them; but,  have probably tried almost all of them.

More and more, I am impressed with the PrimaLoft synthetic insulation.   I have yet to be disappointed.   Also, the price-point seems to be realistic.

PrimaLoft is now the first consideration when I am in the market for insulated gear.   I have come to understand why that company calls their product, "synthetic down".

~r2~

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply