About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Camping in New York City

8:00 a.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Camping in New York City"

NYC's Floyd Bennett Field could eventually offer 600 public campsites in the city. As part of the America’s Great Outdoors initiative, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar has proposed a series of steps to link local communities, especially young people, with parks and other open spaces in New York City. In addition to trail and greenway projects, one of those projects is the National Park...

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/07/04/nyc-camping.html

6:44 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have "camped" in NYC  (I'm from there).   Not at Floyd Bennett Field, however.  Over 20 years ago.

My concern with this initiative, is homeless people.   We shall see ....

~r2~

6:49 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ooooooh, next up on the list BATTERY PARK !!!! Maybe I can pick up some high-end equipment from the locals there via garbage bag.

In all seriousness though I think it is a good idea. At the same time I hope that it doesn't become a problem(theft, etc.) It may make easy targets of people which in turn will ruin it for everyone else.

10:37 a.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

It is not something that would interest me personally, but I see where it would be a good idea. I know people in New Orleans that never actually leave the city, am sure that is the case in a city the size of New York. It would be a good opportunity for inner city kids to experience the outdoors in a way they may not have the chance to otherwise. Safety and security will be a valid concern. Hope they can pull it off.

4:36 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Mayor Bloomberg ... and Guilliani before him ... got things done.  I'm serious.

Previous to that, the regime of Mayor Dinkens was a joke.   People actually had their cars "totaled" by the insurance companies following driving over-and-into potholes the size of manhole covers, and two-feet deep.   The frames broke ... can you believe that? 

~r2~

4:52 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

You should see the potholes in Pittsburgh. I am glad I drive a 4wd.

5:51 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Robby said exactly what I was thinking as a read the article.  Good for them and I hope that a lot of positive things come out of it.

And, if you had my pack on that campout, you wouldn't worry about theft too much... bear spray! :)

9:12 p.m. on July 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

What? really? your can't be serious.  How in any way, right now, can this be consider this as good or even justified.

With the United States National Debt at $14.5 trillion, yes, trillon. and the Total National Debt approaching $55 trillion, yes trillion 

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

With the state of New York facing a debt of $68 billion,

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/05/news/economy/Cuomo_New_York/index.htm

and NYC basicly breaking even, maybe, or maybe not depending on estimated rev.

In what world is this a wise expenditure of money when as a nation were in is 14 trillion $ in dept and were about to raise the dept limit so we don't (A) go into defalt and (B) lose our bond rating.

So lets see, are they going to charge for these sites?  If not, who's going to pay for this?  If so who gets to use these sites, people with money get to use these sites, not the inner city youth who a least in part some of the ones who should benifiting form this?  Who is this for any way?   How many inner city families have the money to go camping.  Did anyone tell us were in a recession?  My favoriate is the RV camp sites that will be included for the inners city family's that can all afford RV's.  Some one sholud tell them that they can afford RV's because I belive that most "inner city" familey's don't know that they can afford one.  I guess since there building sites for the RV's we can start a national program to buy RV's for the people who are to poor to afford them to fill up the RV spaces.

We can't even take care of the infrastructure we have.  Will some one explain this one to me?

I can't wait till we start funding The National Gerbil Concervation Program,..........because as we all know in the US even gerbil's have rights.

Our country is broke, not only broke, but in debt.  Not only do we have to balance the budget and come out of a recession,  We have to payback over $54 trillion .  Is this the path to take, I think not

8:17 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

600 camp sites in one spot sort of defeats the purpose of a campground. My advice is to take the train to Harriman and stealth in a hammock.

8:30 a.m. on July 6, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

philipwerner said:

600 camp sites in one spot sort of defeats the purpose of a campground. My advice is to take the train to Harriman and stealth in a hammock.

Or, to Randall's Island.  There is already a park there ....

I understand Ryker's Island is "occupied" at this time.

~r2~

2:12 p.m. on July 7, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Not my cup of tea.  I prefer to have minimal number of campers around.

7:45 a.m. on July 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... but, when you're a "local", and don't even have a car ... as most NYC'ers are in that category ... it's not a bad thing.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply