About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Lightweight Backpacking: Stove Systems

1:00 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Lightweight Backpacking: Stove Systems"

Consider the pros and cons of different lightweight backpacking stoves and how to think about stoves and cooking from the perspective of a lightweight backpacker.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/07/14/lightweight-backpacking-stoves.html

1:59 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Out of curiousity how do you feel about GSI cookwear. I personally use the soloist. I noticed you seem to steer clear of coatings. I have used this set-up for awhile and it seems pretty durable.

8:04 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,221 forum posts

While much of this topic has a personal preference side (e.g. full on cooking versus boil bag cooking) it should be noted titanium cookware does not transfer heat nearly as well as aluminum and steel cookware.  Ti may save pot weight but it will require more fuel to impart the same amount of heat to your food.

Ed

8:59 a.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I bought the Whitebox stove and it's my first alchy stove. I took the advice of The Rambler and Gonzan to check out alchy stove's. I bought this because I wasn't ready to try my hand at making one.. Can't complain saved my weight and has worked well so far..I do have a Jetboil for winter and passed useing that presently because I did want to shave some weight in my pack. I also learned a new skill on how to use an Alcohol stove. I have seen the caldron cones and still need to ask questions about them..

12:13 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

I've been using the Monatuk Gnat canister stove @ 1.6oz and the MLD 475ML ti cup @1.7oz for a pretty sweet solo setup.

I use a Jetboil with my kids but find it overkill for solo use.

I used to use esbit but hated the residue!

1:04 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I love my MSR pocket rocket; small, light, and does it's job. What more can you ask for?

1:24 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ed- I noticed the heat transfer issue with Ti as well. The GSI set-up that I use smoked a Ti pot as far as boiling times when I did a side by side boiling the same amount of water. If one has to compensate this by carrying extra fuel the weight savings Ti offers is null and void.

The GSI is a nice set-up and can store the fuel cannister in it when toting around. As for the canister scratching the pot coating I just use a cut down Crown Royal sack as a sock over the bottom and it eliminates this problem as well as the clanging that can emanate from my pack.

This is the set I use(GSI Pinnacle Soloist)
2011-06-05_14-47-22_681.jpg

1:49 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

A wider burn for simmering, more stable pot supports, and pot supports that do not bend easily.  Not to mention extremely high CO2 output.

2:03 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I haven't ran into any problems with my Pocket Rocket. Its a simple stove and does what its suppost to. As far as stability I added MSR's canister stand and it has worked out fairly well for 3 season use.

I have used it in the winter and just keep the canisters in the footbox of my bag at night. I am a little vertically challenged so I have the extra room length wise in my bag.

3:06 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,913 forum posts

Lest anyone think Philip is ignoring their comments and questions on his latest article, I wanted to mention that he's off doing better non-online things (my words, not his) like teaching scouts and backpacking.

3:13 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Alicia said:

Lest anyone think Philip is ignoring their comments and questions on his latest article, I wanted to mention that he's off doing better non-online things (my words, not his) like teaching scouts and backpacking.

No worries Alicia, some people other than myself have lives. I think I am gonna look into adopting a penguin. :)

3:37 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
687 forum posts

Most of us have work comittments during the week.  It is the weekend when we play.

3:46 p.m. on July 16, 2011 (EDT)
130 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Rick - I think GSI has done a nice job with making their cookware compact, but my preference is very minimal. I usually bring an Evernew titanium 750ml pasta pot and use that as my pot, cup, and dish. I'm too rough on my gear for coatings, so I avoid them except in winter when my meals get much richer. The rest of the year, I'm a ramen noodle/miso and olive oil kind of guy. My 3 season stove is a snow peak gigapower canister. In the winter, I use a MSR simmerlite.

6:39 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Just a comment on steel / aluminum / titanium.  The last time I checked, a few years back.  Steel was about 50% post consumer content and more per consumer content, depending on the manfacturing facility.  Aluminum was running about 1/3 (33%) post and per-consumer content.  And titanium was at 0% recycled. 

No reflection on any ones "Green" comitment, but from what I have read and seen titanium is not a very green material.  The stuff used on jet fighters and the like makes a ton of nasty sludge that is just stockpiled.   But when you work for the military it seems that it dose not matter how much you screw up the environment.  

OK maybe that is a little bit on the ranting side, :)  again none of this is directed at anyone, just of information. 

Wolfman

10:48 a.m. on July 27, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Wolfman said:

But when you work for the military it seems that it dose not matter how much you screw up the environment.  

When your job is death & destruction, everything else is a distraction.

6:35 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
282 reviewer rep
273 forum posts

I see Trail Designs Caldera Cone stoves shown. These are true "systems" because they must be made to fit one pot diameter.

My CC titanium Sidewinder is evem more of a system than the original CC alky stoves. Irolls up into a Tyvek sleeve and fits inside its 3 cup anodized aluminum pot nicely. (an aluminum is 1/2 the weight of titanium)

The Caldera Cone Sidewinder can be used three ways:

1.  alcohol stove (the one provided or your own alcohol stove)

2.  ESBIT stove ("Gram Cracker" fuel tab holder provided)

3.  wood burner (extra cost Inferno inverted inner cone which sits on a hardware screen disc & supporting screen circle)

BTW. this wood-burning Inferno conversion is extremely efficient, on the order of the Canadian made BushBuddy stove in terms of cumbustion efficiency. It utilizes the downdrafting heated air for better combustion, thus a hotter flame.

In addition, unlike either the Bush Buddy or the Bushcooker downdraft wood stoves, the CC Inferno encloses the heat around the pot bottom much better, thus using less fuel and time to get the same results.

Note: Titanium is required to withstand the heat of a wood fire. Alcohol-only Caldera Cone stoves have aluminum cones.

Eric

2:47 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

We use the GSI Dualist (the 2 person version of what Rick uses).  I know it's not the "lightest" thing on the market, but for two people if weight is shared, I think it is well worth the light weight for the system is it.  To further shed weight since it comes with 2 bowls/mugs per person, you can leave one bowl/mug  each at home.  I say bowl/mug because the "mug" is really just a bowl that you put a sippee lid on.  The stove has good heat transfer and I have yet to burn anything to the bottom.

As for the stove, I guess I am in the stone-age weight-wise because I use an MSR Whisperlite and I am still pleased with it and find it worth the extra weight over a screw on canister type setup.  I have 3 different size fuel bottles I can use depending on the trip, which in turn changes my total weight.  I can stretch the fuel out pretty good if I plan well too!

5:41 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

D&G said:

"As for the stove, I guess I am in the stone-age weight-wise because I use an MSR Whisperlite and I am still pleased with it and find it worth the extra weight over a screw on canister type setup.  I have 3 different size fuel bottles I can use depending on the trip, which in turn changes my total weight.  I can stretch the fuel out pretty good if I plan well too!"

I still use a Whisperlite too, I've had mine since the mid 90's

I have other stoves, but I always go back to the Whisperlite for a winter stove, plus white gas stoves are way cheaper on fuel than canister stoves.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply