ACR ResQLink is world's smallest personal locator beacon

10:46 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,053 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "ACR ResQLink is world's smallest personal locator beacon"

ACR has released ResQLink, which it claims is the world's smallest 406 MHz personal locator beacon. The ResQLink's small and light waterproof package can be held in one hand and clocks in at less than four inches tall and 4.6 ounces in weight.

Full article at http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/05/acr-resqlink-beacon.html

12:18 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Huh... if the actual price is closer to Fast Finds, this could be very interesting and could help kill SPOTs lousy monopoly on backcountry messaging.

10:25 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
566 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I don't know what the price is on Fast Finds but I got mine for $279. As to Spot's lousy monopoly I would have to concur. With Spot you pay $150 for the device which is worthless without a $99 one year subscription that has to be renewed yearly. I've used ACR PLB's since they were introduced into the USA and could not be happier. The new ResQlink is about the size of a cell flip phone. I took mine out on the back porch and sent fired off a test message. Before the strobe had ceased firing I received a cell phone message validating my test. The spot that I threw away ( I refused to give away junk that might get someone in trouble) was totally unreliable. You never knew if your transmission was sent or received (and more than half the time it wasn't). I have a subscription for test messages for the ResQlink mostly for my wife's peace of mind. I send one message per day when I'm in the back country and that "OK" message tells her that I'm where I planned to be and reasonably close to on time. These ACR beacons are triple redundant in that they send gps positions, satellite positions, and 121.5 guard channel homing beacons. I wouldn't leave home without it.

12:35 a.m. on August 18, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

This sounds fantastic.  I have looked at buying a SPot but hesitated due to the,

- bad reports of signal delay or no signal

- bad reports of slow recovery

- bad reports of no recovery cost coverage even if with insurance if not following the instructions exactly which can by ambiguos to an emergancy situation

- large intial cost particularly with an annual fee.

If ACR introduced the ability to send another message or two for very low cost I am sure that they will take over the market and I would be on board with them immediately

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply