Recieved this email Trailspace Notification today

2:08 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

I recieved this email Trailspace Notification today:

Message body

Dear GaryPalmer,

There are new Trailspace forum threads, posts, or private messages to which you have subscribed:

New Forum Replies

• 1 new reply to "Re: Alex Honnold free solo Moonlight Buttress" in Spam

I wondered why I had recieved it cause I didn't recognise the Re: Alex Honnold free solo Moonlight Buttress, but opened it anyway. And below is what came up on the regular Trailspace page:

Not Found

We're sorry, but the page that you requested could not be found.

Error 404

So what is this or what happened? Is someone spamming/hacking Trailspace?

2:14 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Gary,

This thread had previously been deleted/tagged as spam. I am not quite sure why you received an email in regards to this but I will look into it further.

As far as the spamming goes it actually happens quite often but we address it rather quickly to keep it out of site out of mind. 

Thanks,

Rick

3:27 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I sometimes get those.

I frequently check for Email at weird hours of the AM  (3 AM, etc.), as I buy, sell and trade stuff via the internet all over the world.   They all want me to get Skype.   If I do that, I'll never get any rest.

People are on so many different time Zones, I can't keep track.   A horn is going out this afternoon to a dude in OZ  (Australia).   I think (?) he's one-half day ahead of me.

Later, when I get back on the internet at "normal" hours, these "spam" messages are gone.

~r2~

4:05 p.m. on September 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Gary you can ignore the ones that say "in Spam"

7:25 a.m. on September 16, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Gary, the Error 404 message you got indicates that the original post, whether you commented on it or not, is no longer on the web. It has been deleted.  This means one of the moderators or administrators must have acknowledged it as spam and removed it.  As far as the email to you goes, that's something that I'd like to discuss with Dave and Alicia. Junk overseas gear and clothing "Spam" in the topic threads is a nuisance, but it can be handled relatively easily. Email spam, if indeed that's what you got, is quite another matter and is much more serious. We are investigating.

8:45 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Here's what happened: Gary, a while back you started a thread here and presumably checked the "notify me by email of replies to this thread" box. Last week a spammer posted a message in that thread, so you got an email notification just as you would have with any other reply to that thread.

Between the time the notification was sent and the time you clicked on the link, one of the moderators (Rick in this case) spotted and deleted the spam message. So when you clicked on the link the message no longer existed, and you got the 404 "Not Found" error.

As Rick said, we do our best to catch the spam quickly, or even before it's posted, but sometimes a few slip through. We're working on a number of behind-the-scenes changes that should help further reduce the amount of spam that makes it onto the site, or into your notifications.

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply