No formatting options when posting

1:31 p.m. on October 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Dave,

Seems the gremlins are back again and I now have no formatting buttons at the top of my post when I'm typing before I post. At the top of the posting box in the right hand corner I have this (formatting options). This is underlined and in blue and when I click on it I get this:

------------------------------------------------------------

Formatting Your Posts

When posting on Trailspace, you can format your text and add images and links to your message using the following HTML:

Text Styles

bold

bold

italic

italic

strikethrough

strikethrough

Links

http://www.trailspace.com

http://www.trailspace.com/

Trailspace

Trailspace

Email Links

feedback@trailspace.com

feedback@trailspace.com

write to us

write to us

Images

logo-tagline-230x61.giflogo-tagline-230x61.gif

Quotes

------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to use the quote tabs and the reply tabs at the bottom of the boxes as you suggested last time. Last time this worked, where as this time it does not help. What going one here? Is my computer trying to silence my feelings and thoughts into just a boring monotone script. Does my computer think that just cause it does not have feelings that I should not as well? Hummmmmmmmm...........

The last time this happend it was only on a smaller amount of indvidual posts, was that just practice so that my computer would see how much it would piss me off and now I get the full brunt of it's wrath? This time it's on all post and this is all I can do, type like this, No bold, no quote, no italic. No nuthin......

I was going to attach a copy of my page to show you but alas, the button is gone that would allow me to do that. If you want I can email a copy to a email address to show you what it looks like.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

9:21 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I have the same problem. But as long as I can post I'm happy. :D

12:08 p.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I Just logged on from a different computer on a high speed conection and find that I now again have the and I now have my formatting options again.  I'll check and see if there still avaliable when I get home.

11:46 a.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

What you're describing sounds like what you would see if you were using a browser that had JavaScript disabled.

There are good directions for enabling JavaScript in various browsers at http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=23852

1:18 a.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Dave,

When I got home I found that I still don't have my formatting buttons. I went in and checked to see if the JavaScript was disabled and it was not as far as I can tell. I know I did not go in and change it myself and it appears to be enabled. Could it be that someting needs to be updated? I will be taking my computer to a high speed conection on Monday to see if acts differnt on high speed vrs. dial up. Thanks again for your help!!

3:53 p.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Strange. If JavaScript is enabled and moving to a high speed connection doesn't help (it shouldn't make a difference unless the dial-up connection is really slow), there are a couple additional things you may want to try:

1. Clear your browser's cache. (See http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=32050)
  2. Quit and relaunch your browser.
  3. Restart your computer.
10:08 p.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I will try this and thanks, and yes my dial up is really, really, really , etc........slow.  It crawls at a slugs pace. 

I just discovered that I now have all my usual formating options.  I have no idea why.  I didn't restart my computer nor did I change anything.  All I did was to get back on Trailspace  forums like I do every day after being away form the computer for most of the day (the computer was left on all day and I did not have any formating options this morning).  Gremlins I tell you, Either that or my computer is waking up and and becoming self aware and trying to mess with me?  Thanks again Dave!!

10:10 p.m. on October 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

Gremlins I tell you, 

I am going with garden gnomes. 

9:54 a.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Gnomes, gremlins, or poltergeists, I'm glad it's working for you!

The editor interface requires some files to load that aren't part of the initial page load. So what's probably happening on your slow connection is that the page loads and you're able to use it, but the editor is still loading over your slow connection. Once's all those files have downloaded, the editor buttons will appear. Usually that all happens within a couple seconds. Over your slow connection, though, it apparently takes a while longer.

5:05 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Hey Dave,  I believe your right.  There appares to be days where I'm with out the buttons and then with out expelation they reappear for no reason that I can discern other than my dial up is working faster.  Just the way it is I guess.  Thanks again for the time and effort you have put into investigating this, agian.  A high speed connection is the one thing I would spring for in this teck world we live in, it just is not avaliable at this time to me.  Thanks again for your efforts.

3:52 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Seems the gremlins are back again as I find not that I do not have formatting options today when I logged on.  So I shut my computer down and re-booted. Same thing.  I then start trying different phone connections to see if that would make a difference as I on dial-up.  Trying out different phone connections gives me different results on different connections of roughly the same speeds.  Some give me my formatting options some do not.  The all have more or less the same speed(which usually means going slow) 28 to 42 kbit/s. I'm not sure that that's what I'm actually sending and receiving at or if that's what’s available from my server and that conditions (line noise and conditions, and hard wear) themselves are dependent upon what I'm actually receiving. Thanks again for all your help Dave!!!!!  Seems as I have found a temporary fix for my affliction.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply