thank you, Trailspace, for the outlet

6:00 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

It's times like these that I realize how much I enjoy viewing and posting here on trailspace...

I'm about 5 months away from finishing my post-graduate degree, and the light at the end of the tunnel seems dim.

I work from 5:30am - 7:00pm daily, Monday - Friday. My home has become a pit stop. I get home, eat a late dinner, sometimes work out between bites, do some homework in front of the TV, say a few things to my wife, and go to sleep, just to get up and start it over.

I feel lucky to have the opportunity, to have a wife who helps me through it - I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining. But it's tough none-the-less.

Here I am, at the hospital, waiting for a patient to finish a family visit so I can meet with her, and trailspace provides me a brief outlet into the world I love of hiking and climbing.

It's refreshing.

3:44 a.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I know not through personal experience of what you are going thru but by watching many others in the past juggle their family responsibility’s, school, boards, residencies, jobs, and other hoops to jump thru to get or extend an education I can see how much determination you have. I'm glad you found at least one easy quick way or thing that allows you get away for even just a moment, that does not disrupt your complex life and what your attempting to accomplish.

I've seen it so many times and it always seems to be the same, that the last 6 months or so of the haul seems to make people crazy, depressed, and or feel like it will never end.

I don't know what exactly your studying or what your area of expertise is in the medical feild is but just know that the hardship will end and the best is yet to come. Probably sounds rather hollow right about now but it will end and maybe then you will able to get back to some of the things you love such as the out of doors.  I'm glad you have a family that supports you.

6:16 p.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

thanks apeman, I appreciate the kind words. I know it will end soon but it does indeed seem like an endless dream at times.

8:05 p.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hang in there iClimb, you can do it!

1:22 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

The hard work may be cantankerous now but be assured it will be worth it in the long run.

iClimb, I personally commend you for your efforts. Keep it up man. I can tell you from personal experience its well worth the headaches.

I gotta agree with ya as far as this site being an outlet. I am a die hard when it comes to being out there. When I am not on trail this is the next best thing for me. ;)

Oh as an aside thanks for the heads up on those spikes. I ordered a pair. I am just gonna keep both. If nothing else I will do a review on them.

1:26 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,244 forum posts

iClimb,

I echo your sentiments regarding Trailspace. It is by far the best online community for hiking enthusiast that I’ve found.

While I’ve been hiking since I was about 10 years old, I really only discovered my passion for backcountry roaming and backpacking about 8 years ago. I’m 39 now, and sometimes wish I had discovered this affinity when I was younger. I’ve learned so much just from this site, it’s been pretty amazing.

6:30 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

iCLIMB

ALWAYS WITH A CONSICOUSENESS OF RESPECT and defined meaning you  post of solitude and admiratrion for your peers. My hat is of f to you Sir as always...

8:05 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,397 reviewer rep
442 forum posts

+1!

iClimb, my wife just finished her Masters of Science in Speech and Language Pathology, while we juggled extremely active kids' schedules work. Her program was 3 years. During that time we went through unemployment for both, health issues for her, months without going on a date (not because we didn't want to), and countless other challenges. I know what she went through, and I feel for you.

I appreciate your commitment to the health of your neighbors (and sometimes visitors from afar). My kids and I pray for people in healthcare every day (not to mention Armed Services, Law enforcement, Fire services, etc).

Be very proud of not onlly the coming achievement just ahead, but you/your family's soul-strengthening journey to get there. Best wishes to you in finishing up, and thank you for your contributions to the strong and warm spirit of this TrailSpace community.

9:18 p.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

XterroBrando said:

+1!

iClimb, my wife just finished her Masters of Science in Speech and Language Pathology, while we juggled extremely active kids' schedules work. Her program was 3 years. During that time we went through unemployment for both, health issues for her, months without going on a date (not because we didn't want to), and countless other challenges. I know what she went through, and I feel for you.

I appreciate your commitment to the health of your neighbors (and sometimes visitors from afar). My kids and I pray for people in healthcare every day (not to mention Armed Services, Law enforcement, Fire services, etc).

Be very proud of not onlly the coming achievement just ahead, but you/your family's soul-strengthening journey to get there. Best wishes to you in finishing up, and thank you for your contributions to the strong and warm spirit of this TrailSpace community.

+1

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply