No Offence... But I am a bit annoyed by the Righteous Responses of some...

6:38 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hiya! This is NOT a negative response by any means... more of just what I see in response to some posters here. Especially when member post asking "Specific Locations" they might traverse in any given Location.

Example... Someone from BC Canada had posted a simple question as to "where might be the best location to Wilderness Bush Reside in BC, Canada" 

Simple question right? ...You would imagine such response posts such as "Ohhhh... Vancouver Island has some great places..." or even ..."Have you looked into the Kootney Regions of BC? You might have to delve further into your options but I hear there are areas to explore there for sure!"

Nope. Those were not the replies. 

Now as far as I could glean from this website... is that we were ALL here to help others NO MATTER what the request. And that is not what this poster got in return.

This is basically what he was told by other long time poster here...

"If your coming from America we have STRICT LAWS In Canada that prohibit Camping/Residing on Land in BC!"

((FYI: the poster was NOT American and lived in BC his Entire Life))

"You obviously don't know how to survive because as ALL Canadians should know... any available Land is CROWN LAND and cannot be Habitated by ANYONE!" 

((FYI: Not ALL Land is Crown Land. And that which is not can be inhabitated by anyone who wishes to make deals with the TRUE HONEST LAND OWNERS OF CANADA! Are some of you so believing in the Fact that Queen Governed Land encompasses ALL LAND IN CANADA? You DO REALIZE that all Canadian Land "WAS" Stolen from the true INDIAN Owners??))

"Obviously you wouldn't know how to Live off the land no matter what your Status or Knowledge base!"

((FYI: we are ALL Human Beings! We ALL know how to live off the Land if need be. Just because you lived off the Land for 30+ years makes you no more knowledgeable than the fledgling Human Being. You who think you are BETTER THAN OTHERS... have absolutely No INSIGHT to Humanity and Survival whatsoever. No matter how many words you post below mine. You are as Ignorant as those whom you attempt to make out as Ignorant. YOU are the ones I feel sorry for the most.

]Allow others to "Ask Questions" ... Allow yourselves to answer them truthfully and thoughfully. Stop NEGATING EVERYONE because you think you are Superior. You are not. End of.

Help each other. That's what we need not only HERE ...but when the SHTF! 

Those negative people who think they know it all ...when SHTF ... you'll be turning slowly on my "Pig-Roast" 

So get off your HIGH HORSE and help out your bretheren.

6:44 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Nice first post. Welcome to TS

7:22 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

deleted

7:22 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

This is NOT a negative response by any means...

..Those negative people who think they know it all ...when SHTF ... you'll be turning slowly on my "Pig-Roast" 

So get off your HIGH HORSE...

lol!  I my be wrong, but you comments sure quacks like a negative duck!

At the risk of being snarky myself, may I suggest the body of your thesis is as much a reflection of your own perceptions and assumptions as they are the sentiments of the posting authors.  What you perceive as digs appear as well intentioned advisories IMO. 

I do not recall the post you reference; must be an old one.

The OP of you example asks a relatively beneign question, but if his premise is ill conceived it behooves him that others advise accordingly.  For example, what if someone asks what is the best stove for cooking in a two man tent?  The proper answer is DON'T!  Conventional wisdom would say you are literally playing with fire.  But that is not answering the question or being helpful, based on your opine.  Perhaps the guy who said the OP of your example lacked survival knowledge is a troll, but most of the other comments you lament seem sincere in their intent to advise the OP, regardless they may be factually wrong. 

In any case calm down, hang around for a bit before passing judgement on your fellow forum members.  You certainly set an odd example for us to follow, given your desire to raise the standards of conduct herein.  (I assume, Jose, you caught the irony in Mike's welcome aboard comment.)  Chances are when you become familiar with the authors of these suspect comments you will see what appears to be flaming antagonisim  is usually well intentioned, albeit brutally frank advice.

Ed

7:45 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I encourage everyone to give this the energy which it deserves... which is exactly 1.75 sentences worth of energy less than it took for me to write this!

8:11 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
614 forum posts

Maybe you should review this website some more. On top of Ed's well writen response and Mike and Cleric's sarcastic comments I would like to add that this has nothing to do with backcountry, please review and place in the appropriate forum (feedback).

8:15 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

What passion!!

The OP refers to this thread:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-planning/topics/91240.html#93015

Draw your own conclusions...I think some people, naturally, need stronger "suggestions" than others might, to understand the intended message.

I support frank dissemination of information and opinion when it is asked for...there certainly are situations where "beating around the bush" does no good...Abrupt enlightenment for the win!

8:25 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace josefeg1971.

I have moved this thread from Backcountry to Feedback due to the following:

The Trailspace Feedback Forum is for communicating with Trailspace's owners and administrators about the site. Posts should be limited to subjects such as general website questions, technical issues, feature requests, suggested improvements, etc.

The content of the OP didn't fall under the Backcountry forum criteria and this issue would be much better addressed in the Feedback forum. Please see the following:

Backcountry:

Need advice on trails, gear, or backcountry practices? Want to discuss your outdoor experiences? This is the place for you. Trailspace's Backcountry Forum is a moderated forum dedicated to hiking, backpacking, camping, and the outdoors.

Thanks again & happy hiking- Rick 

11:51 p.m. on October 31, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

josefeg1971 said:

"Now as far as I could glean from this website... is that we were ALL here to help others NO MATTER what the request. And that is not what this poster got in return."

Indeed, you are so correct in some instances of just negativity in responding to posts. With that being said, in other instances you will find much fun, interesting information, stories, gleaned experiences from life journeys in the wilderness, etc.

My point being that I have gained immeasurable wisdom from all the people who participate here that and that it will take you little time to weed through the negative responsive and learn from those who have tread before thee. In return hopefully you can add to the combined knowledge that is here and that presides over this site. From your post I venture to say that is not a problem and I await your further posts. With that being said sometimes we need to check our ego's at the door...............myself included.

Oh yea, and not least of all welcome to Trailspace and thanks for the kick in the collective pants, esp on your first post.

7:07 a.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

Looked like they were giving excellent advice to me. Exactly the kind I would want.

3:58 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I saw great advice until one poster decided to attack an experienced individual who actually knew the area in question. Any time someone takes the discussion from a philosophical difference to accusing one of jealousy and small mindedness and a dedication to wall street, he has lost the battle. IT makes it clear he was invested in WINNING rather than dispensing his advice along side the other advice and letting the questioner consider what he wanted to do. But that one poster can easily be ignored and the other posts seen for their great value. It is evidenced by the fact that the OP thanked, responded, made adjustments by the help he received from...was it Dewey? I didn't think it was overly harsh. And if so, so what? He seemed to have the OP's best interests at heart and gave alternatives to going solo in an area he had experience in that he would not suggest ANY soloing......

6:27 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Dewery was harsh. But hr is from the area. If it was me (the OP) I would listen, and hear him loud and clear. All the other responses were very helpful. I go solo all the time, but in much more peaceifable areas. :D

Or is that Peaceafulable?

10:05 p.m. on November 1, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Do note: Dewy's antagonist in that thread posted only in that thread.  I guess he had his fun and moved on to flame another day, another place.

Really Jose,  if you are seeking a good web neighborhood to jaw about the outdoors, this is a good base for operations.  Just check your ego at the door, because we do get into spirited debates at times...

Ed

10:23 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

I go solo all the time, but in much more peaceifable areas. :D

Or is that Peaceafulable?

It's neither as neither is a word....unless you meant:

peace·a·ble/ˈpēsəbəl/Adjective:

1. Inclined to avoid argument or violent conflict.
  2. Free from argument or conflict; peaceful.

I am guessing you could use that to describe an area that was not as tretcherous.....

10:52 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

I am guessing you could use that to describe an area that was not as tretcherous..... 

...tretcherous isn't a word either lol. Sorry, I had too, this was just too good to pass up... ;)

treach·er·ous/ˈtreCHərəs/Adjective:

1. Guilty of or involving betrayal or deception.
  2. (of ground, water, conditions, etc.) Hazardous because of presenting hidden or unpredictable dangers.
11:57 a.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

As in:

Me think's this thread is at risk of not being very peace·a·ble anymore, due the current postings becoming exceptionally treach·er·ous.

12:53 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
911 forum posts

Apeman:

I think you have just skillfully diverted it into the hi·lar·i·ous direction.

1:11 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This thread is getting gooder all the time

1:33 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
915 forum posts

Hi Jose, welcome to Trailspace. I think that there are two clear points to be made here. 

1. Everyone here is passionate about the outdoors and outdoor recreation. Sometimes that passion overflows.

2. There as many opinions on topics such as "What is the Best Tent", as there are tents.

There are many hundreds of years of experience on this website, and much can be gained from it. I am not a beginner, and yet everyday glean new and valuable information from the many people on this site.

As OP's are sometimes asking a question because of a lack of knowledge in a certain area, providing as much background information is helpful for those who respond, in order to do so with helpful information. As well, those who respond, should to do so with an understanding that the OP is looking for useful information. That may include opinions(What is the Best Tent) and those opinions should be supported with facts.(I like the Logan tent best because I like to sleep standing up).

Again welcome to Trailspace.

1:38 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Erich said:

I am not a beginner, and yet everyday glean new and valuable information from the many people on this site.

I always stress that point to others that I speak with as well...

No matter how much knowledge/experience one has there is always that one situation that arises that has ya treading into uncharted territory. I actually embrace these scenarios. 

Keeps me well grounded. In some way, shape, or form I will always be a newbie. 

3:30 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

All right you guys. I cannot spell to save my life...and you all got me good! :) Just be glad I have such a thick LEATHEROUS skin from all my sun time here in the great Southwest! AND that I am not prosecuting in YOUR jurisdictions! he he.

3:58 p.m. on November 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

All right you guys. I cannot spell to save my life...and you all got me good! :) Just be glad I have such a thick LEATHEROUS skin from all my sun time here in the great Southwest! AND that I am not prosecuting in YOUR jurisdictions! he he.

:p

12:26 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I have been on this site for a awhile and I have to admit some people do talk down to others. Maybe they are just being sarcastic or maybe they just always talk that way. I can see how people might be put off by it.

Anyway if someone put you off no worries about it. There are plenty of people that are here to help. We all like getting out and having fun outdoors. You will be confronted by people with strong opinions you don't agree with. But hey, nobody said life was going to be easy right?

On your remarks about land. Unfortunately we live in a bankrupt world based on debt where governments have declared themselves sovereign over the people. Good luck trying to find a way out of this nightmare we live in.

I don't see me resorting to cannibalism in the coming tribulation. I certainly don't eat pork. Foul animal and it cannot rid the toxins from it's body.

There are really two kinds of people around. The ones that want more than anything to be free and the kind that are happy believing they are free even though it's obvious they are not.

Anyway hang around there are a few people here that can help with backpacking knowledge.

8:34 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

DrReaper said:

..There are really two kinds of people around. The ones that want more than anything to be free and the kind that are happy believing they are free even though it's obvious they are not...

Hmm, I am not sure anyone is free, but there are some who can be rented for a very reasonable fee.  And to think I thought the two kinds of people were  those who know what we don't know, and those who know we don't know what we don't know.  (I guess you can place me in the sarcastic column.)

Ed

9:41 a.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

DrReaper said:

Anyway hang around there are a few people here that can help with backpacking knowledge.

Rest well-assured, there are more than "a few" knowledgeable, helpful folk here on trailspace.com. The beauty of an open community is that while the old-timers and seasoned veterans offer the vast majority of the advice, good or bad, it's entirely possible for someone with little experience to help, teach, or enlighten someone who has more years and many more miles behind them.

12:25 p.m. on November 4, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

f_klock said:

DrReaper said:

Rest well-assured, there are more than "a few" knowledgeable, helpful folk here on trailspace.com. The beauty of an open community is that while the old-timers and seasoned veterans offer the vast majority of the advice, good or bad, it's entirely possible for someone with little experience to help, teach, or enlighten someone who has more years and many more miles behind them.

F_klock I tend to agree the many outway so few.Especially you can learn from someone new.We all don't know everything. I agree with Dr Reaper hang around you might enjoy the topics and get to know more about the individual or individuals who post. Welcome Jose!

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply