Video Hosting?

10:13 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

As an active member of the Trailspace community, I would greatly appreciate the ability to show short videos on my profile page. I imagine them potentially enriching the experience of anyone who might happen to stumble upon my page.

Now, I think it would be best to be able to load videos directly to our profile, as we now do with photographs. This would also allow our individual profiles to become exponentially more helpful to those searching for knowledge; a one-webpage answer for many of the myriad questions often asked.

I understand we have the button which greatly simplifies the loading of videos from other hosting sites into our discussions, and that there is a way I could do it just by entering the right code, but just because I know this doesn't not mean everyone who enjoys this site would be able to do it. The best solution that I can currently imagine to enact these improvements is direct hosting by Trailspace.

What say you?

5:31 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Video hosting would require a larger amount of server space.  As an option, you could upload your videos to Youtube and link them here. In your Youtube account settings you can select who, if anyone, can see and comment on the videos.

7:05 p.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Over on Hammock Forums dot net they have a video forum / listing, the ones I have watched so far are YouTube videos with  links at Hammock Forums. There are also some other forums that do the same thing.

I guess it's a storage & maintenance thing?

9:31 a.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I can understand that the expense of server space may be prohibitive, but it would be cool to have videos attached to our profiles. 

I wonder, would it be possible to build a feature that allowed you to post photos, albums, videos, etc., directly into your profile albums using a url from content hosted elswhere? That provide the functionality that Vince suggests, while not requiring additional server real estate.

1:33 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Better integration of video is definitely on our radar. As other have pointed out, the costs of maintaining on-site video -- storage, bandwidth, development of server-side compression and streaming software, client-side player interface, etc. -- are fairly prohibitive. Since dedicated video sites like YouTube and Vimeo do such a good job, and make it really easy to share their hosted content, I'd rather piggyback off their functionality and put our resources into features that are more unique to Trailspace.

I think Gonzan's suggestion has a lot of potential. This actually ties nicely into some things I've been thinking about in terms of adding more video on product pages. The way that our image infrastructure is set up, it may not be a huge leap for us to allow commingling of images and video within album and elsewhere.

In the meantime, you can add video to your main profile page just as you would in a forum post or gear review. Just go to "Edit my profile" and you'll see the same set of controls as for other types of posts.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply