All new threads on gear swap on BPLight have to be by members.

6:51 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,058 forum posts

BPL is enforceing that members only can buy and sell on the new threads on gear swap. Went into effect this weekend. We will probably see more listing on TS in the coming months by backpackers. 50% of items on BPL were by non members who dont want to pay to list them.

7:05 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

I'm not sure how good of a move that was...they also have implemented an often very annoying ad system for "GearBuyer" which picks up on keywords in one's post, and offers purchasing "suggestions" directly below said post. With the longer posts that reference specific pieces of gear, this results in a "laundry list" of single-line ads which can almost take up the entire screen at times.

I would venture to guess that they have hired a new employee whose main purpose is to increase site revenue. I wonder if the exodus in visitors these changes may very well lead to will cause a significant enough drop in advertising revenue to make them reverse the changes.

It's a shame when a good site like BPL makes changes for reasons that, to me, seem soundly rooted in a desire to exploit its members.

11:43 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

This will sound silly I'm sure, but what is BPL?  Back Packers Light?  Is that a really cheap beer?  ;-}>

6:32 a.m. on December 2, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,058 forum posts

apeman said:

This will sound silly I'm sure, but what is BPL?  Back Packers Light?  Is that a really cheap beer?  ;-}>

it's backpackinglight a Ultralight forum.It's also a paid membership for certain things. Gear swap to list is now one of them. When it wasn't in the past.I also frequent there and 2 other forums on backpackimg to learn more and add in conversation.

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply