How To Copy Threads

10:28 p.m. on February 4, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

I was wondering if someone has a better idea on how to copy and print an individual Trailspace thread for reading out on a trip.  When I hit FILE and PRINT REVIEW, the pages are never whole and instead get cut off here and there, no matter the scale (shrink to fit, 70%, etc). 

So I sometimes have to Select All, Copy and Paste in a pad document and print that out---time consuming and loaded with extra headers, etc.

Any suggestions?  Is there a PRINT function on a thread I just don't see?  Many forums have a Printable Version tab which makes everything easier.

7:04 p.m. on February 5, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

That's what I have done in the past too.

I can't answer your question, and I too would like to know of an easier way to print threads.

I have copied to Open Office and then printed.

10:29 a.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts
  1. Try using FILE>EDIT WITH MICROSOFT WORD.  The result is a MS Word document laid out like the full web page.  Extraneous graphics, headers, etc can be selected more quickly, albeit one by one, for deletion.
  2. You may also try FILE>SAVE AS, then designate in the Save Web Page Dialog box:  File Type = TEXT FILE.  The result is a Note Pad file.  Editing out unwanted content goes quickly in this format.  At first the content is a little confusing, but you’ll soon get used to identifying the text you wish to keep, while deleting undesirable content efficiently in large blocks.

Ed

11:14 a.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I have Firefox browser.

Mozilla Archive Format saves webpages as MHT.

It saves the web page as one file, which is helpful if you transfer it to an external hard drive.

1:08 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

Thanks guys.  I downloaded ConnieD's suggestion with Archive Format and do Save Page In Archive As which goes into Documents and then can be opened and printed with no distortions. 

ConnieD question---what's the difference between Save Page In Archive and Save Frame In Archive???  They both seem to produce the same results after Print Review comes up.

2:44 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I don't know.

One "save" even keeps video and sound.

But I use the "MP4 Downloader" Add-on to download YouTube video.

If you look at their Add-on webpage, there is more information about it.

Options > Actions > Website

10:53 p.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Those of you who are having printing problems: what browser and operating system are you using?

8:47 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Running Explorer 8.0 on Window 2002 XP home:

Have only the File>Print option available.  As one would expect, it prints the entire browser screen display, from the Trailspace.com page header, the TS.com footer panel, and everything in between, including margin side panel content boxes not directly related to thread topic, and the quick reply box.  This isn’t a bug issue, however.  As Tipi points out some web sites have a print utility that reformats content, such as forum threads, to better fit on a print page, while eliminating extraneous content such as the quick reply box, etc.

Ed

9:22 a.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

I have seen web pages that have a link near the top that say Printer.

I don't know how they do that. I would like to know.

If I want the content only, I use Abiword (free) and cut and paste, adding the images using Insert. However, I can only select limited fonts.

It never looks as nice as the webpage.

I have XP Pro.

8:30 p.m. on February 8, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Dave said:

Those of you who are having printing problems: what browser and operating system are you using?

Dave, I can't say I am having any problems other than trying to find a way to print threads in a more condensed manner. The way in which some web pages that have a 'Print Friendly' button seem to print out.

I am using the latest version of Firefox on Windows XP Pro SP3.

2:50 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

We've made a couple changes that I think may address Tipi Walter's original problem. There was a printing bug where the page footer would appear at the end of the first printed page (rather than the end of the document). This often caused a section of the page content to be cut off or not displayed.

That problem should be fixed now. Extraneous elements like the reply form will still be printed, but you should at least be able to print a thread and see all the posts.

2:34 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Thank you, Dave.

I was at Section Hiker, where I discovered Print Friendly.

I added it to my browser.

I am adding it to my website.

I can choose Print Friendly and PDF. if I like.

I am going to see how well my web pages convert to PDF before I add PDF.

I am so, definitely, adding Print Friendly.

The buttons are discreet. Love it!

5:09 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Thanks for the pointer, Connie. Unfortunately, Print Friendly seems to remove a bit too much when used to print Trailspace forum threads -- including users' names and avatars.

11:25 a.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Well, okay. I have seen Print buttons at websites that work well.

I have no idea how they are set up.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply