Editing my post

8:42 p.m. on February 25, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
138 forum posts

I'm having difficulty understanding how to edit my post. Following the advice given to another asking the same question, the reply and quote buttons appear as you scroll  to the bottom of topic. Clicking on quote, then a double click on the post provides a text box. I can then delete the selected text and click on post message at bottom of page. However, it locates the changed post in the message and reply section and does not edit the original post at the top of page which viewers see first. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any assistance that can be provided!

PS - I see that this post asking for help does have an edit button along with the reply and quote buttons. My post in the North Face classifieds subforum does not have an edit button?

12:07 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I don't know why there is no Edit button on your post. I always seem to have one. Let me see if I do here.

this is my edit. The button was present. It may have something to do with your browser. If you are on your phone I think it is not as robust an interface as on the PC. All I do is move my cursor up to the bottom of my post and the three buttons appear and I select edit.

HOWEVER! Once a person posts after you, you no longer can go back and edit. I am guessing this keeps tings form leading to problems in communicating. Changing things after the fact when the following comments would then lose complete context, for instance.

9:02 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

There is a time limit on editing. You have about two hours after your make a post in which you can edit it. After that time, the editing function is no longer available. As Giftogab noted, this is to maintain the integrity and context of threads that have replies.

11:26 a.m. on February 26, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
138 forum posts

Thank you all for your feedback! It was true for my post in each of the above mentioned circumstances. However, I do think there is some utility in the constant presence of the edit button such as if you wanted to lower your price or if someone brought to your attention an error in your post.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply