What is the maximum photo file size for upload?

9:56 p.m. on April 8, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hey guys,

I was trying to do a trip report, the photos I shot with my point & shoot load fine, but the photo files from my Canon Rebel will not load.

The upload window gives an error message: You must specify an file to upload.

I moved all the photos to a new folder and made sure they all had file names ending in .jpg. I'm guessing the file size or pixel dimension is way too big. Haha.

Here is the image file size:

Size: 12.9 MB (13,548,318 bytes)

If I don't need to re-size, (I'm sure I do) what could the problem be.

I will batch edit the photos and try again tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike G.

1:46 a.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

If after batch editing them all into a smaller they still won't load to TS, I would try uploading them to Facebook. If that works you can embed them here with a link. That is how I have actually taken to doing my reports here, as I just don't have the patience to upload a bunch of photos one at a time. 

3:49 p.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Mike, that error sounds like something is going on other than a size issue. Our maximum files size is 20MB, and maximum image dimensions are 10,000 x 10,000 pixels. You'd be getting a different error message under those circumstances.

That said, I'm not sure exactly what would be causing you to receive that particular error.

Do you happen to be on a very slow Internet connection?

5:02 p.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I tried to upload a panoramic photo of Ohiopyle awhile back that I took on one of my trips and it was a no go.

The photo dimensions are  3648x832.(1.02MB)

I just tried again and keep getting this:

"The file you uploaded does not appear to be a valid image file. It may be corrupt."

6:28 p.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Dave said:

Mike, that error sounds like something is going on other than a size issue. Our maximum files size is 20MB, and maximum image dimensions are 10,000 x 10,000 pixels. You'd be getting a different error message under those circumstances.

That said, I'm not sure exactly what would be causing you to receive that particular error.

Do you happen to be on a very slow Internet connection?

Thanks for the replies,

Dave my speed as tested by a server in Augusta GA (I'm coastal SC) a few minutes ago is:

Ping 39 ms

Download 11.59 Mbps

Upload 7.22 Mbps

I will check out my image files and also try to upload to another site. The image files from my Samsung P&S camera load just fine straight out of the camera, the Cannon DSLR is new to me and those are the image files I couldn't upload.

Thanks guys,

Edit: I can upload the photos (as is) to Facebook.

Mike G.

8:32 p.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

In theory, a file that size should be fine. Mike, would you mind emailing me the file in question so I can use it to do some testing?

9:10 p.m. on April 9, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Dave said:

In theory, a file that size should be fine. Mike, would you mind emailing me the file in question so I can use it to do some testing?

File sent.

Mike G.

9:42 a.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

So what was the fix guys? Just curious...

6:42 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Patman said:

So what was the fix guys? Just curious...

Pat, I am not sure what the problem was, but I did a batch edit reducing the image dimension by 25% then sending them to a new file. After that they uploaded from the new file with no problem.

I dunno, I have a lot to learn in this arena.

I'm sure Dave can enlighten us in good time.

8:19 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Trout, I got the file you sent. I'm seeing that same error when I try to upload it, but I haven't had an opportunity yet to track down the cause. I'll post an update when I have something to report.

Glad to know that the resized versions worked okay.

Did other full-size versions from the new camera result in the same error?

9:16 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

I think I tracked this down. A server misconfiguration was interrupting some large uploads. Should be fixed now.

9:56 p.m. on April 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Cool Dave,

I tried several photos from the same camera & photo group and none wanted to load.

Lets try a full size image file straight out of the camera.

DPP_Moultrie_Passage0018.jpg

Yea....it works!

Cool, thanks Dave.

Mike G.

8:27 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm having a problem getting my photos to a post or a PM. They load to TS just fine. HELP :)

11:25 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

I must be missing something here.  What would be the purpose for uploading multi-megabyte images to TS, since they are displayed at no larger than 600px anyway?

Is there a "view full size image" function I'm missing? :)

11:29 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

I must be missing something here.  What would be the purpose for uploading multi-megabyte images to TS, since they are displayed at no larger than 600px anyway?

Is there a "view full size image" function I'm missing? :)

Click on a members photo then when it comes up click on the "view/download original tab in the lower right of the screen. 

This will bring it up to full size. If there is another way I am missing it too. :p

11:44 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Oh, d'oh, how did I miss that... thanks Rick.

11:48 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, no problem.

9:16 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

I'm having a problem getting my photos to a post or a PM. They load to TS just fine. HELP :)

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner on this, Mike. Could you provide a bit more detail about what's happening (or not happening) for you?

11:01 p.m. on April 22, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dave, any idea why I am getting the error message I posted above? I would really like to upload that photo here. 

6:38 a.m. on April 23, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Sorry, Rick, I missed that completely! That error occurs when the software we use to resize the image isn't able to read the file you uploaded. It's most likely that your file was corrupted during the upload. If you've tried uploading the file more than once and keep getting the same error, then they're's probably something wrong with the file itself. In that case, you may want to try resizing and/or re-saving the image on your computer, and then uploading the resized version.

8:18 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I changed my browser to Opera. If I go back to Firefox it works fine

11:12 a.m. on April 24, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cool, thanks Dave. I cropped the photo a bit and it loaded.

poles-001b.jpg

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply