About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Narrowing down your search

5:54 p.m. on June 27, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Often times, I try and look up articles or see if a thread has been created already.. but i am given pages and pages of a variety of different gear reviews, blogs forums, and articles, and do not posses the willpower to sift though all these!

Maybe its just me, but I don't want to bring up old debates on THIS vs. THAT in a new thread!

So, an easier way to select what you want, would be nice (like vBulletin's search)

10:27 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
963 forum posts

Hi MikeyBob365

While we don't have (at the moment) a specific user interface for narrowing your search, we are currently using Google's site search service, which means you can use Google's advanced operators to narrow your search.

For example, suppose you are looking for information about Marmot:

1. Searching just the forums: Marmot inurl:forums

2. or a specific forum: Marmot inurl:forums/gear-selection

3. In the blog: Marmot inurl:blog

4. Or articles: Marmot inurl:articles

5. Gear reviews Marmot inurl:gear

Let me know if you have more questions!

11:23 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally don't have much trouble finding what I am looking for here as long as I use key words. 

For instance; lets say I am looking at "vintage Kelty packs" and would like info on them. I just type that into the search bar and the get what hits are associated with my search. 

vintage Kelty packs(results:)
http://www.trailspace.com/search/?q=vintage+Kelty+packs

Now keep in mind that if I were to enter "vintage packs" w/o the keyword "Kelty" I would get hit with everything and anything under the sun pack wise.

vintage pack(results:)

http://www.trailspace.com/search/?q=vintage+packs

Key words are the main factor in narrowing down a search. 

Hope this helps.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply