website changes

1:01 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

I've noticed the new changes on the website.Some I like some Iam concerned about..Lets me start by saying the pop out for a category to the left on the site is easy to use and user friendly.What I feel is product branding is the bar on the left on the bottom of the page.If I was new and saw that I would by all of one company's brand for everything. I don't think thats what your trying to accomplish. Which brings me to what I think Iam missing on this..Why did we lose the feed pop out on the forum? Is the community still one of our core things or have we been pushed to the wayside? Iam just at a loss what direction were going. I personally think the forum should have a bigger role, some how. I like the fact that I have access to the people who write killer reviews on the forum and can answer questions for me in a good amount of time..I also think it will be harder for the mod's to check on the threads.I like the fact no one trash talks or use bad language.I been to website's that do and we have hardly any thread drift..I just don't want the community to be affected negatively for they gave me alot of information and still do..I just would like to know where are we headed..

9:20 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,523 reviewer rep
872 forum posts

I logged in this morning to see the new layout. Love it!

I do agree with Denis' take that the "Top-Rated Brands" section is a bit biased. But then, I'm a guy who refuses to buy anything from NorthFace because, around here, it's a rich kids' status brand (like driving a 4WD SUV that will never leave the pavement).

Of course, I also know TS has to pay the bills, and I'm glad there isn't advertising all over the site.

9:28 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Thanks for the feedback, Denis. The list of popular forum threads is still on the home page, it's just moved over to the left side. It's actually somewhat larger and higher up on the page than it was previously.

The brand box is a response to something we've observed in on-site search behavior: about 40% of the most common searches are for brands. Since a significant portion of people using the site are approaching it with a brand-centric orientation, we wanted to surface some of the brands that are most heavily-reviewed and highly-rated by the community. 

9:30 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I like the new layout, too. It lets us eliminate the less-valuable reviews in favour of the ones that are actually worthwhile. As the site gets more popular, we seem to have more and more of the 'I just bought it and it looks really cool' reviews. 

But that North Face at the top of the list on the left column jumped out at me, too. 

10:19 a.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Thanks, guys. The brand list is based on three factors: average rating, number of reviews, and number of page views. I think there's maybe a bit of a mis-match between the label ("Top-Rated") and the sort order. I'll see if we can tweak the weightings on those so it's more reflective of the average ratings and less of volume.

12:29 p.m. on July 28, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

I've changed the way the brand list is generated. The order is now weighted much more towards average rating.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply