Advertising policy?

7:35 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

I realize that large part of the funding needed to keep Trailspace in business comes from the pop-up ads on the site. Ads for places to buy gear that is reviewed can be helpful for someone outfitting themselves, certainly. But some of the ads I am seeing (particularly on the right side of the pages) do not seem related to the outdoors at all and some that popped up today seem to be pushing the limits for a "family friendly" site. In the past couple of days, this has included ads for "lovely Ukrainian ladies".

I am sure I do not see all the ads, since Firefox blocks a lot of pop-up windows, plus I have a filter that is normally "on" that blocks "trackers" (3 right now as I type, sometimes as many as 10 to 12).

The question is, how does Trailspace choose what ads to allow?

8:43 p.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
938 forum posts

Much of the ad inventory on Trailspace is currently filled by Google's AdSense service (and occasionally other advertising networks). Which specific ads are shown in those spaces is determined by the advertising network. In some cases they will display ads that are relevant to the Trailspace page you're viewing. In other cases they will display ads that are relevant to your browsing habits or demographics.

For that reason, different people will often see different ads, even on the same pages. I've seen some oddball stuff occasionally, though I haven't run across the Ukrainian ladies specifically.

If you're running software that blocks cookies, referrers, and/or other ad tracking mechanisms, AdSense knows very little about you and the page you're viewing, which makes you less likely to see relevant advertising than somebody using a "stock" browser.

Most ads served by AdSense will have two icons in the upper-right corner: a blue triangle and a grey "X." You can click the triangle for more information about how Google chooses which ads to show you, or click the "X" to "mute" an ad that is inappropriate or you don't want to see again.

8:28 a.m. on August 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,399 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Use the free app "Adblock Plus" with the FireFox browser, and most ads will disappear.

Until, this thread, I didn't even know TS had ads. I've never seen them.

11:16 a.m. on August 26, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

G00SE said:

Use the free app "Adblock Plus" with the FireFox browser, and most ads will disappear.

Until, this thread, I didn't even know TS had ads. I've never seen them.

Same here. I run AdBlock Plus as an Google Chrome app, and I never see any ads. 

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply