More Login Problems

11:43 p.m. on October 4, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

My login issues hit again last evening (2-3 times) and again this evening (repeatedly).

I am using the latest version of Firefox.

I typed my username and my password, hit the button, and my username and password disappear from the entry fields, and I get the message: "You must enter your email or username, and your password."

Cleared cookies, closed/reopened the browser, tried again, same problem.

Left the cookies, closed/reopened the browser, tried again, same problem.

Cleared cookies, left the browser open, tried again, same problem.

Left the cookies, left the browser open, tried again, same problem.

Tried using Chrome, same problem.

Tried using IE, same problem.

Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat.

Went back to using Firefox and I just kept leaving/deleting cookies, closing/reopening the browser, whatever/whatever, and after a dozen or so attempts, I was finally able to get in. Then, as a test, I immediately logged right back out and tried to log in again... had the same problem... got the same error message... took almost ten minutes of messing around with it before I was finally able to get back in.

I'm not having this issue on any other site, just here at TS. There seems to be some issue reading and/or writing to the session cookie and/or capturing the text from the two entry fields. I can get the same error message by trying to log in without providing a username or password so it's like my login information is being ignored.

At least I can get in after going back and forth with it for 5-10 minutes, which is better than having to wait for hours like I had to the other day.

Just passing it along... and I've hidden all my sharp pencils. ;-)

8:19 a.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

Well that's no good, is it?

It sounds to me like cookies are probably not the problem. But if you run into the problem again, you might try clearing your browser's cache.

A couple questions that might help us narow down the source of the problem:

1. Do you use a password manager program/extension with any or all of your browsers?
  2. Do you know if your computer or network uses a proxy server?

Thanks
-Dave

11:31 a.m. on October 5, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Just had the same problem trying to login. Cleared the cache but that didn't help. Waited five minutes, tried again, and got in.

I don't use login/password managers. I do use a cookie controller with Firefox but have TS on the white list. However, I have also disabled the cookie manager entirely and that didn't help, either.

I do use an LSO manager with Firefox but doubt TS is trying to set an LSO.

Since Firefox is my primary browser, I don't use add-ons/extensions/managers with Chrome or IE.

I do not use proxies and haven't set one up myself... and I'm not using the Tor browser.

Since I seem to be the only one having this problem, logic would seem to suggest the problem is on my end... just can't figure out where.

10:44 p.m. on October 6, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

I use firefox and never have TS login problems.

10:53 p.m. on October 6, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Yep, I figure it's on my end. I just keep trying until I finally get in. Sometimes it works right away. Sometimes it takes half a dozen tries or more.

2:44 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

I've added some extra debug logging on that error, and as best I can tell the server is receiving your username, but not your password. That is, when your browser submits the login form, it does so with an empty password. (Or the password gets stripped out of the request before it gets to the server.)

You may want to try logging in using the secure login form.

3:35 p.m. on October 7, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Thanks, Dave. We'll see how that works.

4:07 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Well, I've been waiting for my login problem to happen again but since you posted this, I've had no further issues. When/If it hits again, I'll try the secure login to see if it works.

7:47 p.m. on October 9, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

Thanks for the update -- I hope that was the last of it. Fingers crossed...

8:55 p.m. on October 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,392 forum posts

For some reason today, when I went to open Trailspace (which I had set to "remember me"), the site did not "remember me".  I have had that happen occasionally before.

I will check my iPads, other computers, and "smart" phone. Probably have to sign in fresh, since I decided to change the password to a stronger one.

2:25 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
782 reviewer rep
1,323 forum posts

Bill S, same here for the last two days. Running W7 with IE8

3:50 p.m. on October 15, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

If your TS cookie(s) get deleted, you won't be remembered.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply