Open links in a new tab

8:42 a.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

One thing TS doesn't do is open links posted in the forums in new tabs. I've noted it many times, but an example is the thread entitled, "Are you tired of Backpacker Magazine." When you click on Dennis' link, it takes you away for TS.

I've noticed that clicking on the "Where to buy" links does open in new tabs, but it would be nice to have this feature throughout the forums.

~Jeffery

11:28 a.m. on October 24, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeffery.

There's maybe a case to be made that all off-site links should open in new tabs/windows, but I'm not sure it trumps users' interest in controlling their own browsing experience.

Some people like to open things in new tabs/windows, while others like to keep their browsing linear. In general my approach is to allow people to use the tools available within their browsers to open links in the way that best suits them.

Where to Buy is the one exception we've made, where we force the links to each open in a new tab or window. That because the usage there is primarily comparative: people usually click through to several retailers to compare them. So we open them up in multiple tabs/windows to support that dominant form of browsing in that particular case.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply