New Forum Layout

9:31 p.m. on March 11, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

If you're reading this, you've probably noticed by now that something has changed around here.

Yes, we've finally given the forums a long-overdue overhaul.

Hopefully the new layout will make it easier for everybody to keep track of active topics, by always showing the most recently posted-to topics at the top of the list and providing at-a-glance info about each topic.

And now you can also read those topics without having to click back and forth to a bazillion different pages. (For those of you who actually liked the old style, just click the "threaded view" link at the top or bottom of any topic page.)

You'll also notice a new option to login as a member. Sign in once and you won't have to type in your name every time you post. And soon members will also be able to get email notifications of new topics and replies to topics of interest. Follow this link to sign up: http://www.trailspace.com/member/register.html

Becoming a member will also get rid of the "Guest" designation next to your name. If you've registered but are still seeing "Guest" next to your older posts, send me an email and I'll get you fixed up.

If you have any questions or comment, please post them here, or email me at dave@trailspace.com

-Dave

1:36 a.m. on March 13, 2005 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hi Dave, Congrats on the new look. Makes it a lot easier to follow the threads. Thanks for the effort.

12:16 p.m. on March 13, 2005 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Dave, Just FYI, the activate address did not show up as a link on my email notification (using AOL).

Thanks again for all you do for us!

e

8:01 a.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Thanks, Tom and Ed.

Ed, I'll check into the situation with AOL's mail reader. I know it has some quirks. Most (all?) other mail clients do display the activation address as a link.

11:38 a.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts
"Guest"?

Dave -

How long after registering does the "guest" go away from one's name on old posts? I notice when I clicked "Reply" to your message that it comes up with "Welcome, Bill S", so it must know that I am registered. But the "Guest" is still appearing by my name in old posts.

Also, I don't see a sign-in frame right up front on the home page. I am using Firefox.

11:42 a.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts
further "quirk"

I am seeing the "Welcome, Bill S" at the top of the page, while seeing "Bill S, guest" in the post list????? Could this have to do with having firewalls? Naaah, not if somehow part of the software recognizes me as a member and another part does not.

12:00 p.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts
Re: "Guest"?

Bill: The process of linking old post with new usernames requires a little bit of manual intervention, so "Guest" doesn't go away until I've had a chance to check the new member registrations. I'll fix yours right now.

Having a login form on the home page is a good idea. Also, if you're not logged in you can get to the login form from any page by clicking the "login" link in the upperleft.

12:10 p.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts
Re: "Guest"?

Bill: I found a couple gear reviews by "Bill S" but they don't sound like you:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/u.l.-thermawrap-jacket/review/6571/
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/u.l.-super-stretch-down-hugger-exp/review/6651/

If they're not you, I'll change them to avoid any confusion.

7:07 p.m. on March 14, 2005 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts
Not my reviews

Dave -
I haven't written any reviews for the Gear Review forum. Mostly that's because of intrinsic laziness (should be working on my annual report to the IRS and Calif Franchise Tax Board right now, but, hey, it's still a month off, right?).

In this case, I do not have, nor have I used any Montbell gear. I've looked at it in stores, but never felt it was a better or even equal choice to other brands of the same item.

Nope, not my reviews. It's sad that someone would use someone else's name to post things.

11:29 p.m. on April 6, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hi Dave, I've noticed with the new format that occasionally a poster's name won't show up alongside the post. Hitting "refresh" a couple of times seems to sort out the problem. I'm wondering if my browser is acting up, which it does on occasion due to a virus attack a while back, or if that is just a minor kink in the new format. Thanks, Tom

10:54 a.m. on April 7, 2005 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
946 forum posts

Thanks Tom. I haven't seen that happen, but I'll keep an eye out. If you notice a particular topic or message where it happens frequently, could you let me know?

5:42 p.m. on April 8, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Dave, It seems kind of random. I was looking at the newer posts on the Backcountry forum when it happened. I found that hitting "refresh" a time or 2 fixed the problem. Like I said, could be my browser.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply