Cookware Gear Reviews?

12:06 a.m. on October 4, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Hi, I wanted to compare some cookware on this site, but couldn't find any. I was wondering if there is any on this site or if there isn't. If not, that is something that would probably help out a lot of people (myself included).

10:33 p.m. on October 6, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Daniel -
What kind of cookware do you have in mind? I have accumulated a wide range of cookware from heavy stuff to be used when canoeing, horsepacking, or car camping to ultralight for fast-packing, gourmet to "just boil the water" (I consider my anodized aluminum wok to be gourmet, although it is one of the lightest pots I have). Just as in cooking at home or in a restaurant, it really depends on what you want to cook and where you are going to be and how are you going to carry it.

Dutch ovens are great in their place, as are grills and cast iron skillets (or the traditional wok). But they are heavy.

I love my tortilla press (nothing like freshly made tortillas straight from the masa with none of the store-bought preservatives). But it is rather heavy.

There still rages a huge controversy of stainless vs aluminum vs anodized aluminum vs titanium, vs "non-stick" versions of all these. Double boilers and pressure cookers (for high altitude) have their advocates, as do things like the Outback Oven (and various improvised ovens).

How about starting a thread on your favorite, or asking a specific question on a type you have seen and wonder if it is the miracle the ads claim?

Then again, you will find that there are lots of bigoted, er, um biased, er, ahhh, I mean, strongly held opinions (as in everything gearwise).

8:54 p.m. on October 7, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

The cookware I had in mind was mostly the backpacking type. I currently own a MSR Duralite gormet set, and it works great. I was just wondering what the options were for lighter yet durable cookware, if it is better to get something light that is less durable, and so on. I often see those Titan cookset's coupled with the same stove I have, an MSR Pocketrocket, and was wondering if those were any better. I know I can look at the websites to see what the specs are, yet there seems to be a lot of experienced backpackers here and I would like to know what they think. Thats pretty much it, thanks for the reply.

12:37 p.m. on October 11, 2006 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Daniel, post this question in the backcountry forum and you'll probably get more responses. I just have a little cheap aluminum kit. Years ago I bought a small skillet with Teflon on it, but it's kind of heavy, so I don't carry it anymore. Titanium is nice and light, but you have to treat it carefully-it can scorch from what I have read. I also have a small aluminum pot made by Primus that holds my Primus canister stove and a mini canister. I carry that on day trips. There are several sizes of titanium pots made by Snow Peak, but they cost about twice as much as the aluminum one I have.

1:27 p.m. on October 11, 2006 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Sorry I missed this thread earlier. We don't have a cookware review category in the reviews section of the site, although it's an area we're considering adding.

12:09 a.m. on October 12, 2006 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Thanks for the posts, maybe after I have some more questions I'll post on the backcountry section.

-Daniel

1:54 p.m. on October 19, 2006 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I have used all kinds and think the Hard Anodized are the best all around. Either GSI (my favorite) or Primus have nice anodized ones. Not light like titanium but not really all that much heavier and soooo much more durable.

10:27 p.m. on January 18, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,022 forum posts
We've Got Cookware Gear Reviews!

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that we now have cookware gear reviews and product information on the site. You can find cookware under the Stoves and Cookware gear category at http://www.trailspace.com/gear/stoves/cookware/

And although we only added the cookware category today, we already have two MSR cookset reviews! So come on over and share your thoughts on anodized vs. titanium vs. aluminum vs. stainless…

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply