About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Rant Forum

6:56 p.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Perhaps a rant forum would be fun, and each is closed after the original post so there can be no responses. Someone can post a rant on a particular topic and everyone else can get really into it and write all kinds of things and then post it and all postings will be automatically deleted so you can safely write any kind response that you like and you can refer to the parentage and race of the writer in your worst terms and then its deleted. I mean this sounds silly but often I write long ranting replies to posts then delete them because I was too honest about my feelings and didn't really want to hurt anybody nor have my opinion become part of the great memory bank.
Jim S

7:08 p.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

Yep, I agree. I don't know how many times I have paused before hitting the "Post Now" button, and for the same reasons you stated.

My problem is I don't express my thoughts very well, and they come off sounding harsh, negative, or of some other bad context. I hit the back button quite a few times to abort the message. I keep adding lines to the post, trying to make it sound like what I'm thinking, so it just goes on and on.

But I have never meant to be hurtful, accusing or crappy. It just comes out that way sometimes.

I find the members very humorous, and forgiving of my faults. Sometimes, the long ranting posts are the best as they reveal quite a bit of knowledge.

Blackbeard

8:58 p.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

I don't know about the "rant forum", but would an "edit post" function help?

10:01 p.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Dave
is there not an "edit post"? Sometimes something that gets posted that one immediately regrets and the ability to change or delete it altogether would be nice. I am of course writing very tounge in cheek here. Someone could post a rant about say the department of the Interior and everybody could get as heated up as they wanted and write slanderous things about each other and feel good about it, but no one would ever see it. I don't think I'm the only one who writes sometimes casutic responses to posts and then deletes them simply because - hey we try to be civil here, but I still told them what I really think about their idea.
So anyway this is just for humors sake. (:->)
Jim S
P.S. Did I ever tell you what I hate about my dog? well nothing actually.

10:02 p.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Dave,
Now if I was really embarassed about something that I said in that last post there doesn't appear to be any way to make it go away.
Jim S

Edited by moderator "E"....Yes, there is way to make it disappear! Dave has a possee that's watching his back.

9:05 a.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts
Re: Rant Forum - with an "edit" feature perhaps?

An "edit post" feature would be great - most useful when you've responded, trying to be helpful, but when you re-read the post it hits you that you left a critical bit of information out!
I don't think that anyone is being hurtful with their comments on purpose - if someone has felt that perhaps they're just not aware of how - um - direct some folks can be when handing out advice/information/opinions!
Of course, we're not always going to be in agreement on this topic or that, but even when you disagree with something that somone says or writes, it has made you consider your own position.
I'm a singer/songwriter and frequently play bars and clubs where there may be a few people who take a dim view of my expressed politics contained in my songs - but I'll tell 'em - you may disagree - but I did make you think.
It would also be nice to be able to quote anothers message in your reply (common on a Saab forum that I'm on) - but then again - lots of things would be "nice" -

Peace

Steve

10:08 a.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Folkie,

the Saab BB you speak of, would that be Paterson's Saabnet?

I've been a proud Saab Owner since 1983.

e

2:09 p.m. on December 4, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Ed G. - http://www.saabcentral.com/ - I was a VW guy until last December - when I drove a 1985 900NA (my beloved '86 GLi had been wadded by my son - no one was hurt - so that was the main thing)- it's comfortable - fairly quick - seemed to be built really well. It's been a bit over 11 months and about 34,000 miles since I took ownership and I haven't looked back to Wolfsburg once. She's got 233,000 on the clock.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply