What Do You Want for Member Features?

3:31 p.m. on August 7, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

We're working on expanding member features and profile information on Trailspace. So now is the time to let us know everything you wish you could do as a Trailspace community member from the simple to the complex. Add photos, share trip reports, update your reviews? How would you like to use your Trailspace membership?

Since this is partly a brainstorming session, the sky is the limit. We may not be able to do everything you suggest, but we'll make every effort to meet the collective wants and needs of the community.

So tell us what you want.

4:48 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

It would be great to use the site to organize local trips. As a working professional I find it hard to meet people who are interested/able to backpack. Meetup.com addresses this issue; but at-cost. The more hits you get, the more advertising you can sell; it's a win-win.

5:57 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hi,
Just some 'member feature' suggestions for consideration...

Upload photo's to posts capability.
Email notification on 'watched' threads.
'Homepage' in profile
Signature.
Small Avatar/pic on postings.

6:18 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

ability to use some sort of code for the threads so pics are not links, but actual pictures embedded in the posts

6:47 p.m. on August 15, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

i second phillyb, html coding for pics would be great or even something similar to vbulletin style threads...check into those, great mesaage boards

4:46 a.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I like the idea of being able to upload pictures from your hard drive into your post.

Check out wakeworld.com as an example

7:29 a.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

I agree with GEO. Also, PM's (private messaging), also, instant notification on a reply to your post. Check out rockclimbing.com, Scuba Board.com. or ArmyRanger.com they have a lot of neat features.

1:31 p.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
77 forum posts

Alicia: Is this going to be a RSS feed?....

1:38 p.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

The blog (http://www.trailspace.com/blog/) is already an RSS feed.

Potentially other site content could become RSS feeds and/or e-mail alerts, depending on the type of content, the best method of updating people about that particular content, and what people want.

3:16 p.m. on August 16, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Here's another suggestion - it's pretty standard in forums these days to be able to use text attributes (italics, bold, underline, etc) - either by way of buttons like in MS Word, or by way of inserting your own HTML. An example of where this is VERY useful is where you want to cut/paste parts of a previous post, quoting them for your reply. Without the ability to format the quoted text (for example with italics), it appears to be new text.

There are several examples of this happening in the current thread on the rock climber getting killed by a falling rock.

4:15 p.m. on August 17, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Hi, here's another suggestion (sorry if I'm being going too far with these)...

It would be nice, as on other forums, to be able to see "my threads", so when I'm pressed for time I could just see what updates there have been to threads I am on.

Similarly, it would be helpful to see which threads have updates that I haven't viewed yet.

3:14 p.m. on August 20, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks everybody. These are great...keep 'em coming!

Outside of the forums, are there other things you'd like to be able to do with the gear reviews or other areas of the site?

9:17 a.m. on August 23, 2007 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've seen it occasionally when hovering over the text of an item prompts a little in browser (not new window) popup with a picture and some text (including a link?). I found this amazingly handy where I saw it, but I don't write html so I couldn't exactly tell you how it's done.

I think a deals section where people could upload deals and have the newest show first would be cool, kind of a "hiker deals dot com" style.

3:28 p.m. on August 23, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Quote:

I've seen it occasionally when hovering over the
text of an item prompts a little in browser (not
new window) popup with a picture and some text
(including a link?).

Oh, cool, I just stumbled across the "quote" feature :)

Yes, that mouse-over feature is nice too.

Here's another. It seems petty, but it's "nice to have".

Several other forums I belong to have a "rating" system which assigns a "score" (e.g. "newbie", "member", "advanced", "pro", or whatever) based on the number of posts the user has made, and displays that in place of (or in addition to) "member", "publisher", etc.

This can be a neat feature to show the "seniority" of regular contributors.

Well, maybe this isn't needed for a few ... like Bill S, "blazed the trail for the Pilgrims in Plymouth, Led Paul Revere on his trek to Concord, taught General Washington how to build a campfire using nothing but wet sand", (LOL, sorry Bill :)).

2:29 p.m. on August 31, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

WiiMike: I think I know what you're talking about with the mouseover popup, but could you point me to a site or two that you like as an example?

bheiser1: I think you're the only person to use the quote feature, which is a holdover from this forum's origin using the old wwwboard script. We'll be adding better quoting ability, using more standard vBCode/bbcode tags. The seniority thing is on the list as well, as well as an expanded profile area that will hopefully allow us to all share our experience a little more.

3:20 p.m. on August 31, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, thanks for the update. That in itself (getting updates like that about where the site is going) is something that's pretty rare, but much appreciated.

Regarding me being the only one using the quote feature - I think it's probably mostly because it's a "hidden" feature. I didn't know about it until I stumbled across it one day by formatting my text in a certain way (starting a line with a colon). On other sites I use, use of the quote feature is very common (and it's very helpful in maintaining topic continuity).

I'm not sure if this is what WiiMike meant by the mouseover popups, but here's one example I've seen which is useful:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

If you mouse-over one of the topics you'll see a popup that gives you a preview of what's "underneath", so you have an idea whether you want to spend the time to explore there further (or not).

Thanks again for the update!

9:20 a.m. on September 5, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Being a newbe at hiking an backpacking it would nice to start of list of trailheads by states. Members could list there fovorite trails.

12:15 p.m. on September 6, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

BH noted that the Old GreyBeard

Quote:

Bill S, "blazed the trail for the Pilgrims in Plymouth, Led Paul Revere on his trek to Concord, taught General Washington how to build a campfire using nothing but wet sand",

You left out how I taught Archimedes how to use reflectors to focus sunlight to start fires. And besides, it was my constant companion, Barb, who blazed the trail for the Pilgrims (she's still 21). Hmmm, actually there is a tiny bit of truth in that one - ya know how if you trace your genealogy back far enough you will find both famous and infamous predecessors? Well, Barb has a couple famous ancestors who did in fact come over on the Mayflower, so there is a tiny bit of her DNA that was there. We don't talk about the horsethieves and mass murderers in both our lines

8:35 p.m. on September 6, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

Oh boy, Bill, maybe we're related...or at least related through Barb. My ninth great-grandfather (maternal side) was the surgeon and physician on the Mayflower. His wife was the Pilgrim's midwife.

If any of Barb's relatives suffered from bloodletting or other medical practices I claim no familial responsibility.

6:55 p.m. on September 11, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Old GreyBeard wrote this:

Quote:

You left out how I taught Archimedes how to use
reflectors to focus sunlight to start fires.

Haha :-), I was wondering how long it would take you to respond to my note :).

Anyway, I was thinking of you'all when I was out backpacking this past week :). I especially thought of your recent comment, Bill S (aka Old GreyBeard), regarding campfires... I'll take that one to a new thread though, it doesn't belong in "Site Feedback" :).

2:15 p.m. on September 12, 2007 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Would be nice to have a personals section, so you can post your profile and find singles that are into the same things you are. It's really hard finding people on dating sites that are into outdoor activities.

Also a calendar function would be awesome as well. If you are looking for companions for a hike, trip, etc , a calendar function where you can put down your hike this coming weekend on the site calendar, and other users can see it and join you if they choose. Geoladders.com has this functionality. I use this site to find mountain biking trails and hiking, and use the calendar function to join people on their mountain biking rides.

My two and a half cents ;)

2:53 p.m. on September 13, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

There seems to be an interest in Trip Reports - there has been a bit of that in the Backcountry forum - maybe it would be good to have a forum dedicated to them.

10:59 a.m. on September 16, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

It would be useful to have a "preview" button to allow previewing how a post will look before submitting it. Presumably this might be a little quicker than waiting for a message to actually "post".

12:32 p.m. on September 16, 2007 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

On other forums, it's possible to see how many times a particular posting has been viewed (read). While I'd consider this a low priority feature, it's interesting.

10:21 p.m. on September 20, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

BH, I'm working on something that will blow "preview" out of the water.

11:17 a.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Usually in forums such as this - and not just outdoor oriented - there is a place/room/area that is reserved for just stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off colored threads, politics, just general ramblings, books and articles that generally address outdoor activities, Christmas cookie and candy recipes, environmental thoughts, and a good use for the next door neighbor's cat (other than as a push stick for a table saw).

Its a place for those that just have to express themselves but they don't really have much to say that is of interest to those that are keyed into specific topics.

Somebody will always respond however.

11:42 a.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Okay, okay, you're right. By popular demand, we now have an off-topic forum.

speacock, we're all waiting with baited breath to hear some details regarding the cat and the table saw...

12:50 p.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I wait with breath like bait

4:23 p.m. on September 21, 2007 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

I'm not sure if this is a feature, as you're requesting, but here goes anyway.

I'd like to see a forum dedicated to trail food preparation, recipes, and the like. I know there are things like the freezer bag sites, and all, but TrailSpace is becoming a one-for-all, all-for-one site. It's really a nice one stop site.

Gives people a chance to brag about their culinary skills.

Steve

3:26 p.m. on September 27, 2007 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

How do you get the cat stiff enough to push your cut through the saw?:)

12:26 p.m. on December 3, 2007 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Private messageing and home page space would be nice!

5:58 p.m. on December 7, 2007 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Alicia: I reviewed a tent last year and is it possible to do a follow up review on the same tent now? I learned a few things . . .

8:46 a.m. on December 13, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

To all mods...it seems that older north face models are becoming a large staple on the classifieds board. how would you feel about dedicating a seperate classifieds area to north face, so that it does not flood your classified area for those not looking to buy TNF products

11:16 p.m. on December 19, 2007 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

How about sectioning the trip planning forum. Perhaps dividing it up by geographical location.

For example, international,.. West coast,.. Central US,.. East Coast. Or even by state.

9:59 a.m. on December 21, 2007 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I would like to be able to subscribe to a thread and have the option of being notified vie e-mail when responses are posted. Thanks!

Ross.

4:03 p.m. on January 9, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Alot of missing featurs I see can be found in nearly every prebuilt board software. Check out Simple Machines Forum. It also has the bennifit of being able to integrate custome mods like TinyPortal to turn it into a very good front end. My personal site has both of those and Coppermine for a photogallery integrated as well. Works great for posting all my trip photos and when I eventualy get everything done that I want too I plan to use it for trip reports and personal trail reviews as well.

2:37 p.m. on January 14, 2008 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

Don't try any of the software he mentioned, try vbulletin, I have been running 4 forums for nearly 5 years using it. It's the best.

It is a real disappointment not being able to search to forums, only the site. Thats my main complaint.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply