About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Sorting Review Results

12:50 p.m. on September 16, 2007 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

It would be helpful if, when sorting review results by "Rating", the results would also be sorted by a secondary key, "number of ratings".

What I mean is this: I'm much more interested in an item which has received 5 stars from 20 users, than one that's received 5 stars from 1 user.

By way of example, as it currently works, if you sort "backpacking boots" by Rating, the top entry is Lowa Banff, with 5 stars and 10 reviews. Then there are a bunch of items, also with 5 stars, but with 1 review, 2 reviews, etc. Then, further down, there's "Asolo 520 GTX", with 5 stars, but with 19 reviews.

I'd consider the 5star/19review item to be more highly rated than the one with 5 stars and 10 reviews.

Maybe you're using a different criteria for the sub sort? It looks like having an image (or not) might be the key in the subsort now. I can see the logic behind that, but it would be nice to at least have the option of sorting strictly by rating/number.

4:13 p.m. on September 20, 2007 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Agreed, and I've added this to my feature request list.

We're already doing this to a limited extent. I call it the "weighted rating" and it's used in the default "sort by availability" option. In that sort, a product with ten reviews averaging 4.5 stars, for example, will show up above a product with only two 5-star reviews.

However, "sort by availability" sorts first product availability, and then by the weighted rating. So products that don't have any retailers listed are shown only after currently-available products with no reviews. The practical effect is that a few products with reviews get pushed way down the list, but that mostly affects discontinued products, which are of little interest to most people using the site.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply