Water Sports

5:42 p.m. on April 2, 2008 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I hope that this has been brought to your attention but Water sports should be covered on this site. I'd like to see a review site that covers all outdoor activities, excluded the stupid sports like football and baseball, etc. I'm talking real physical sports.

11:19 a.m. on April 6, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I'm not what you would call a football or baseball FAN either, but I must say that calling those sports stupid just makes for hard feelings.

I'm sure there are a lot of football and baseball players out there who enjoy camping, hiking, climbing and yes, even watersports. I'm sure there are a lot of campers, hikers and watersports types who enjoy a good game of football and/or baseball as well.

The fact that people are actually out there doing something athletic is good enough for me. I respect anyone who is ACTIVE, no matter what the sport or activity.

The world is is a rapidly shrinking place. Do we really need to be building more fences to divide people?

8:43 p.m. on April 6, 2008 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts

I think there are plenty of sites devoted to water activities on the web. One reason I say this is that, although I have done white water kayaking, canoeing, scuba, snorkel, etc. (even a little sailing), I think that this site has more than enough to handle with on-land wilderness activities. Some of the sites I visit that deal with human-powered water sports have lots of people who do motorized water sports wanting their activity discussed (or just come on to promote their jet-ski, water-ski, various levels of power-boating, ...).

As you can tell even with the limited water activity I have been involved in and mention above, that's a whole other ball game with a huge number of different considerations. At least with the land-based wilderness activities, they pretty much have a majority of considerations overlapping. The water-based activities (human-powered) have a majority of their considerations overlapping other human-powered water sports, but mostly not overlapping the land-based activities.

Note that Trailspace (even the name) is geared toward non-machine, human-powered, foot-based land activities - no car camping, no mountain biking (even though many of us here ride bikes on road and/or trail), no parapent, virtually no ski or snowshoe (though several of us here do backcountry skiing, sometimes together).

I'm not saying anything negative about the other activities (especially since I do a number of them - even been known to play a pickup baseball game, or soccer). I just prefer personally to separate my "Trailspace" activities from my mechanized (bike, for example) activities from my water activities, etc. I even park our 7 bicycles in a different part of the garage from the tents, camp stoves, and skis.

9:45 a.m. on April 7, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

This is something Alicia and I have thought about quite a bit over the years. After all, we paddle, ski, and bike almost as much as we hike and climb. Ultimately we defined Trailspace's scope as "human-powered backcountry recreation." Canoing, kayaking, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking all fit that definition. But as Bill points out, we have our hands full with the trail-based activities we cover already. So we don't have any immediate plans to cover paddling (or skiing, or mountain biking), but I wouldn't rule it out at some point in the future.

12:42 p.m. on April 7, 2008 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

My two cents...

I am the creator and coordinator of the annual Florida Supra/Moomba Owners Jamboree. This event attracts 40+ boats and 175+ people each year

I am heavily into waterskiing and Wakesurfing.

I am also heavily into hiking and backpacking

Watersports discussions absolutely do not belong on this website.

You think David Williams (owner of Wakeworld.com) wants us discussing backbacking on his site? no. no way.

go visit the forums of your boat manufacturer, Wakeworld.com or Wakeoutlaws.com.

2:10 a.m. on April 8, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I agree with Dave, Ed and Bill. Watersports just doesn't seem to fit into the mission here. I have done a bit of sailing, scuba diving, biking, etc. There are plenty of websites for all of these sports. Sites that cover too many things wind up not satisfying anyone.

Trailspace offers a broader spectrum than many other outdoor sites with all of its gear reviews and classifieds. Some sites are geographically oriented, like PNW Hiker or Views from the Top (NE)or focus on just lightweight gear or long distance hiking. Telemark Tips is focused just on tele skiing with a few AT posters who are barely tolerated and post at their peril-downhillers are definitely out of place there.

ps. Last time I looked,football and baseball looked pretty physical to me. Stupid? Well, a matter of opinion. I don't think of camping or backpacking as a sport; more of an activity. To me, sport means competition and I don't think of backpacking as a competitive endeavor.

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply