suggestion regarding the new "formatting options" link

11:43 p.m. on November 5, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,357 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Hi :)

Today I tried the new "formatting options" link (from the posting composition page) for the first time. It's a great idea, but I ran into a slight glitch with it.

What happened (to me anyway, using Firefox 3.03 on Vista SP1), was the following:

- I spent time composing my posting in the message box
- I wanted to add some formatting, so I clicked the "formatting options" link, expecting to see a pop-up window with some descriptive text. Instead I was transported to a whole new page, replacing the page containing the text I'd spent time composing.
- After getting the instruction I needed from the formatting options page, I pressed the browser BACK button to return to my composition page. All the text I'd entered was gone, and I had to start from scratch.

Can the "formatting options" either open a new window, a new tab, or something that doesn't cause already-entered text to get lost?

Thanks!
-Bill

7:28 a.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Try opening a new tab, then click on the formatting options link from there. Then you can go back to your original tab to edit your message. I had this problem with a few sites using Firefox 3.

10:54 a.m. on November 6, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

Thanks for bringing this up, Bill. It's definitely a problem. I'll change those so they open in pop-up windows instead.

5:44 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

"Formatting options" links should now open in pop-up windows. Thanks for the heads-up, Bill!

5:57 p.m. on November 7, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Works well. And my PU blocker doesn't catch it either.

9:53 a.m. on November 8, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Novice question:

It seems that people are having trouble placing photos in their posts. Some other forums have a browse button, like the one in the Trailspace profile editor. Would it be possible to create such a thing for regular posts, for folks who may not have, or want, a photo server account?

3:26 p.m. on November 9, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,558 forum posts

Yeah, I'm still having trouble.
I can copy and paste the URL in the brackets, but it posts the URL, no picture.
I'm sure it's me, any suggestions?

4:14 p.m. on November 9, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Some things that caught me at first:

Make sure there are no spaces between the brackets and the URL address, also make sure that there are no spaces in the URL address itself. It all must be one continuous line of code.

The URL must be exactly correct too. No typos, or added characters, etc.

4:37 p.m. on November 9, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,558 forum posts

I'll give it another try. Does file size or type matter?

5:01 p.m. on November 9, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Chances are, if you got it off the web the size will be fine. The pic you post will be the same size as the one from the web.

If it's a jpeg from a photo server a size of 300 x 400 pixels would be OK, I guess. You can reduce and enlarge the size of a photo using the imaging code from formatting options. I'm still learning too, but it's fun!

This pic is a jpeg. It's 350x262 pixels.

5:16 p.m. on November 9, 2008 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,558 forum posts

Yeah that pic was off my digi camera and I uplaaded it from "My Pictures" to my profile here on Trailspace.

12:31 p.m. on November 10, 2008 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
952 forum posts

Sorry for the confusion over this. I've posted a short overview/tutorial on image posting here: http://www.trailspace.com/forums/feedback/topics/48692.html

December 24, 2014
Quick Reply