About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

English to Metric conversion.

9:28 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have looked but have not found a page for this on Trailspace, no big deal really, just thought it would be handy since this comes up in posts so often. Have I overlooked something?

Some sites have an automatic converter, you fill in the form fields with the temperature, weight, volume, etc. and the converter gives you the correct values. Very handy at times. Nothing wrong with the charts either of course.

Just a thought.

10:09 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,737 forum posts

I use this site fairly often-

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

It has conversions for everything imaginable.

11:28 p.m. on March 15, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

My Mac has a conversion calculator available as a dock application, so I just use IT. It's always there at the bottom of the screen when I need it. It's also available as a dashboard app. Ahh (again) the convenience of a Mac. The apps are available as free downloads for PCs too.

1:58 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
471 reviewer rep
2,910 forum posts

I use my Mac's calculator for conversions.

However, Trouthunter's suggestion is a good one and one I've thought of too. I'll make the suggestion to add to the list-of-things-to-do.

6:19 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,180 forum posts

Can't understand why anybody would need conversion tables. A meter is about this long, and a yard is about that long. A kilometer takes about this long to traverse, and a mile takes about that long. In your pack, it feels the same whether you call it 10 kilo or 22 pounds, and that water bottle never lasts long enough whether you call it a quart bottle or a liter bottle.

Don't get hung up on the numbers!

7:59 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I like the way you think, Bill. The distance from here to there is..well...the distance from here to there.

9:37 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Not hung up on the numbers Bill, just thought it would be good for those visiting Trailspace with questions about backpack volume and such.

I got used to the metric system some time ago, well at least enough to know how far 1000m is on the map, and how big a 80ltr pack is, we all should know by now how much volume a liter is. I also work in metric in my profession, sometimes you really need to know how thick a 2cm or 4cm counter top is.

But, yes some people do freak out at first and need to ask: How much is...?

Plus the whole Fahrenheit vs Celsius thing too. No big deal really but it would be nice for those not familiar to convert quickly if confused by a post containing temps.

11:50 p.m. on March 16, 2009 (EDT)
100 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I see your point, trout, but I'm not sure the comparison between liters and quarts (or gallons or cubic inches/cm for that matter) would be much help to an inexperienced person when considering a new pack. Ever fill your pack with water? That's what it meant to me when I was beginning. I assumed it was a volume measurement, but it still didn't help until I saw a pack filled with gear. Those who are experienced know how big a pack is when they shop and read the volume.

As for the maps...Many/most are printed in both Km and miles. (Unless of course, people are out of the US) At that point, they'll probably be out on the trail already, not on trailspace.com.

Temperature is the same as distance - cold is cold, warm is warm. Knowing the difference between 32°F and 0° C is fine, but they feel exactly the same to the hiker. With the added ability to factor windchill you could be a meteorologist.

Rather than offer a conversion calculator, which we have already established exist all over the internet, perhaps it would be more helpful for new hiker/packers to learn to make the conversions themselves. That way, if they ARE out of the country, on or off the trail, they will be just that much ahead in the game.

8:15 a.m. on March 17, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Where I see value is not necessarily in yet another conversion calculator, but in being able to compare product specs in whatever units you, individually, prefer to deal with. Right now if you go to look at backpack reviews, for example, you'll se some packs measured in cubic inches, some in liters, and a few in both. Wouldn't it be nice if you could set a preference like "show capacities as [ ] cu. in. [√] liters" and do apples-to-apples comparisons in your preferred units without having to do any conversion at all?

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply