Website Forum Additions For Trailspace.com ???

3:04 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Things I would like to see, but I don’t know if it’s compatible with Trailspace.com and the Trailspace forum.

#1: When you comment on a topic you have the option to choose whether you do or don’t get a message via email or sms text message notification that there has been an additional comment posted. Example (username has posted a comment to ABC 123 thread at Trailspace) and possibly also include a link to that thread. Some of the threads that I have commented on I would like to follow and others I really don’t want to follow. This may keep the some of the traffic to the website down and increase bandwidth so there is less lag.

Here is an example of what I was thinking.
http://www.berryreview.com/2009/06/19/faq-bis-filters-have-implicit-wildcards-top-bottom-processing-of-filters/
This form accepts comments from non members, I don’t think that would be good option here on Trailspace. But you will see what I am talking about if you scroll to the bottom of the page and look just under the reply box.

Sms text is just an basic email anyways you just need the full address. Example if your cell number is 123-456-7890 your full address would be 1234567890@messaging.yourserviceprovider.com and you can find your address by sending yourself a text from your phone to your email.

AND

#2: Have a more mobile friendly interface for the mobile browser. I did a little research and googled “how to make a website mobile friendly” and I cam up with some surprising results I thought it would be a lot more in-depth than it sounds. But then again I am not really into design and code writing, my skills in that area are very basic. Hell with my luck if I tried it the site would end up upside down and the font would be in Chinese lol. I know I cant be the only one here that utilizes a mobile browse a lot.

But its all just thought’s of mine.

11:21 p.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

Yes, alerts to replys to topics would be nice.

9:18 a.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Email alerts are on our short(ish) list of features to add. We're currently wrapping up development of photo-sharing features and a redesign of the home page and news/articles sections of the site. Those should be launching in the next couple weeks; I'll see if we can get something going on alerts after that's done.

I haven't looked at the mobile stuff too closely, as mobile devices account for a pretty small (but growing!) portion of Trailspace's usage. But since I occassionally use the site on my iPhone, I know we have a lot of room for improvement. Mike, your Google search turned up a couple interesting techniques that we might be able to adapt to work with our existing codebase.

7:49 p.m. on June 22, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Dave thanks for the info I ill look froward to some of that stuff.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply