Ozark Trail canopy hammock w/sunshade

10:56 a.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I purchased a hammock w/sunshade on 06/26/08 @ Wal Mart. I live in Maine where this type of item is seasonal & can be used 3 months of the year.

I took it out to get it set up on my patio 2 wks ago, lay in it & the hammock bed ripped across the top at the seam & I fell to the ground , had to call for help to get up because my back was wedged on the frame ( it hurt).

No I'm not 300 lbs !!!!

My next visit to Wal Mart asked if this was an item I could get replaced or at least a store credit to purchase another online because they no longer stock hammocks in this brand. I was told this could not be done because they no longer stock the item & it's was purchased in 2008. Consequently I was disappointed w/the results.

Am I wrong in assuming this item should have lasted longer than 2 seasons of being used 3 months out of the year

I love the hammock & am only looking to have the hammock itself replaced / not the entire frame , case. & canopy

I had been advised by friends to purchase this brand because they will purchase no brand other than Ozark Trail for their camping needs & they do some serious camping ( all summer long)

I hope you can do something for me & look forward to hearing from you & hopefully recommending & purchasing more of your products

Sincerely,

Anne

2:33 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

First of all, Trailspace is backpacking forum. Where you got the idea this site is related to Wal-Mart or patio furniture is beyond me. If you had read the READ THIS FIRST and FAQ posts you would know that. Ordinarily we just delete posts like yours, but I am making an exception.

Second, Ozark Trail is cheap gear sold by Wal-Mart. Your friends who recommended it don't know anything about quality gear and it lasted about as long as most cheap gear will last. The fact it lasted as long as it did surprises me.

BUT, to answer your question, YES, you are wrong and NO, we can't do anything for you.

7:52 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Ozark Trail, serious camping? Wow never thought I would read something like that. I'm a low end user (cheaper gear) and in my opinion Ozark Trail is to expencive for what you get. Hopefully you have learned that.

3:47 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I call shenanigans, this has to be a joke.

6:17 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

No shenanigans. We get similar reviews and complaints from Ozark Trail users all the time.

I would have deleted the original post, but I can understand Tom D.'s annoyance (he's seen many of the previous complaints, when we still allowed people to discuss the brand on Trailspace). I'll delete any future ones though. We try to nicely tell people we're not connected to the brand, but we get quickly overwhelmed, and frustrated, by the number of complaints directed to us no matter what we say.

Read this from the blog for more on Ozark Trail: http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/04/01/april-fool-brand.html

6:59 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Is the confusion partly because of the word 'Trail'?

Some forums will not allow you to post until you have gone to the RTF & FAQ page first, then you have to check a little box indicating you have read the page. Of course it is easy to just check the box without actually reading anything pertinent.

7:25 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

Walmart, which owns the Ozark Trail brand name, and puts it on whatever it wants to sell under that name, does not have customer service info for the brand readily visible online.

So, people try to return Ozark Trail items to their Walmart and are told to "contact the manufacturer," which actually IS Walmart. So, they turn to Google, find us (because we've had reviews of the products for years), disregard five pages of words that say we have nothing to do with Ozark Trail and send us a complaint or post it on the site.

We've come at it from every direction trying to make people read and understand that we can't help them, but enough disregard that info to make it a real nuisance. I'd get e-mails every day in the summer. And even after explaining the situation some people still would think it's our fault and believe I'm giving them the run-around and get mad. It got to be too much.

We keep the reviews up though, because they may truly help other consumers who are considering buying the products. But, we now delete all mentions of certain big-box brands from the forums (with this thread's exception), because otherwise we just get post upon post asking for help that has already been answered 10 times above that post. We found you can't force people to read things and it wasn't really on-topic.

1:09 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Alicia,

The water pump on my truck isn't working and I'm wondering if you or Dave would be willing to come down and take a look at it.

LOL

2:56 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Alicia,

The water pump on my truck isn't working and I'm wondering if you or Dave would be willing to come down and take a look at it.

LOL

Haha....that's a classic!

Excellent sense of humor, thanks for the laugh.

8:14 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

Ha ha... well we could take a look, but you'd probably be even worse off if we did. Thanks for the laugh!

8:30 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

Oh wait, Dave says he's changed many a water pump in his day. I'll send him down.

8:45 p.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

More Lowcountry Oysters for the boys then! Come on down LOL!!!!

10:18 a.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
941 forum posts

Unfortunately my water pump experience is limited to early-'80s GM X-body cars.

1:46 a.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

OK fine, I'll look through my book and have at it this weekend. Oysters and all.... Y'all missin out, they're wicked good!

4:20 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I want some oysters.....

Actually my brother in law is a commercial fisherman so I can get whatever is in season really cheap, but only small amounts at discount.

Sure is good though.

6:30 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,013 forum posts

I want some oysters.....

Go fix mahoosic's water pump for him...

9:17 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

trouthunter said:

I want some oysters.....

Go fix mahoosic's water pump for him...

Indeed!

10:54 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I want some oysters.....

Actually my brother in law is a commercial fisherman so I can get whatever is in season really cheap, but only small amounts at discount.

Sure is good though.

Nothin like Boat Price man... As a Mainer who grew up in a small fishing village (Camp Ellis) this can be VERY handy.

9:21 a.m. on June 26, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

Living in South MS/LA all my life cheap oysters are a given. Until the oil spill.

:(

Oysters are a much better subject than WalMart gear.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply