Returning to a thread

9:13 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts

One thing that sometimes gets annoying is when clicking on a link that someone has provided in a post. The linked URL appears in the same window (or tab on Firefox which I use). To get back to the thread, I have to use the "back" arrow. a number of other websites I frequent open links in a new window (which is usually a tab in Firefox, but can be set to a separate window).

Sometimes in trying to give advice or commentary to fool Trailspace readers into believing I know a huge amount about a huge number of topics (disregard that comment, since people will get the right impression), I refer to other websites and want to have the other site handy while entering my comments or sage, omniscient advice. I can do this by physically opening another tab, bringing up a second copy of Trailspace, going to the post I am reading, and clicking between the tabs.

It would be nice if clicks on links opened in a separate window or tab automatically instead of kludging it (oh, that's right, modern term, "hacking" the solution).

9:22 p.m. on November 29, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

To open any link in a new tab in Firefox, just hold down the Control (Windows) or Command (Mac) key while you click the link.

1:24 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I right click and then click open in "New Window". It works but it would still be much nicer (if possible) if the site could be be set to automaticly open in a new window.

7:51 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
949 forum posts

Opening links by default in a new window can create all sorts of usability problems. It's not something we'll be implementing here.

11:11 a.m. on November 30, 2010 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,363 forum posts

Hmmmm... I haven't had problems on other websites with new windows or tabs. Yahoo mail has it as standard for links in any email, for example. That's how I got here from the "Trailspace notification" email about "new posts" for this thread - simple left click, and the Yahoo Mail tab is still there where I can click back and forth by just pointing at the tab I want. The geocaching websites also use it as standard procedure, as do a lot of the company websites I visit. I sometimes have 4 or 5 tabs open if I am shopping for something and doing comparisons or details (photo gear and GPSRs are prime examples of using multiple windows/tabs for searches).  Dunno, though.

12:43 a.m. on December 1, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

Yeah.  I use lots of tabs, and in some cases, multiple browser windows, often for the same reasons The OGBO mentioned (except for the part about being omnicient, dispensing sage advice, knowing a huge amount about a huge number of topics, etc :).

So I find myself routinely using the Firefox/IE right-click->New Tab or New Window function to open links.  This works OK for me, though sometimes I forget to do it that way and end up taken away from the initial page and having to find my way back (in some cases "back" doesn't work quite the way you'd expect).

I think, but could be mistaken, the "open new window automatically" thing might get tripped up by browser settings which prohibit pop-ups.  'course this can be adjusted, but not everyone is familiar with making such adjustments.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply