About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

An Error Was Encountered

8:09 p.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Hi Dave, I just ran into a set of symptoms you may want to know about.

I came to the site, logged in, then went to the Gear Selection forum.  I typed "carbon fiber vs aluminum snowshoe poles" in the search box.  I clicked on one of the threads (not the one I wanted, couldn't find that one).

I then clicked on my "profile" link in the upper right corner, knowing I could track down the right thread that way.  That link was unresponsive.  So I tried it agian.  No response, and no indication of browser "spinning".  Then I tried the "account" link.  No response.  I tried a couple of other random links - no response.  I flipped to a different tab to make sure the browser wasn't hung... the other tab (a different site) worked fine.

So then, back in the original tab, I tried clicking on a random posting in the listing of posts in the Gear Selection forum.  Then I received this message:

An Error Was Encountered

Unable to connect to your database server using the provided
settings.

This was at about 5pm PT, using IE9 BETA, on Win7.

I then typed trailspace.com in the address bar to start over, and everything is working fine again.

1:59 p.m. on January 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Thanks for the report. There seems to be some confluence of maintenance scripts and traffic that cause problems right around the top of the hour. I haven't been able to track down and fix the exact culprit yet, but it's in my sights.

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply