Review on the Fivefingers TrekSport

12:33 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I don't think there's a place to comment on reviews - so here it is :).  Thanks to all who collaborated to prepare this review:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/vibram/fivefingers-treksport/review/22061/

I've been contemplating some of these since I first read about them some months ago.  A couple things have held me back.   One is the price ... $100 seems like a lot for what they are.  I paid less than that last summer for a pair of regular hiking boots on sale.  And I don't think I'd want the less expensive ones with even less of a grippy sole.  The second thing, as goofy as it sounds, is I don't feel right about trying on shoes barefoot in the store.  And, quite frankly, I'd prefer that the shoes I buy not have been on someone else's sweaty feet either.  I told you it was a goofy reason...

It was interesting to read that they run "true to size" and that the reviewers received them in the mail, finding them to fit well.  I've hesitated on this point because I find different manufacturers sizing on regular shoes/boots varies, so I find I can't necessarily count on the needing the same size in different shoes.

Anyway thanks for the review, I'm inching towards maybe trying a pair :).

6:44 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

I don't think there's a place to comment on reviews - so here it is :).  Thanks to all who collaborated to prepare this review:

bheiser1, we'll be adding that ability in the future. Thanks for starting this thread in the meantime though.

I also was very surprised that all three testers got shoes that fit — in the mail — from using a size chart. I would still try them on in person if possible though.

I've notified the testers about this thread, so they can add some first-hand info to your questions.

7:44 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

the fivefingers come in European/Continental sizes, so you need to convert to U.S. sizes, but I can't explain why the shoes all fit.  I agree that it is always best to try on footwear before buying it, particularly with these. 

I recommend trying them on with socks.  many good outdoors stores have spare socks for trying on boots.  If interested, you should ask a store to allow this for the fivefingers, and i'm guessing that some will.  I liked the fit and feel of these shoes better with socks, and now wear them with socks most of the time, except where i expect to be in/around mud or water. 

8:22 a.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

bheiser1 - a pair of injinji toe-socks, or a women's nylon will enable you to try them on without excessive "ick."  It's not a weird reason at all - fungal infections can wreck a good hike, for sure.

The "true-to-size" issue was very interesting.  I sold shoes for years, and often a "10" in one shoe would only fit 25% of folks that measured a "10" in the store.  Perhaps it's because these shoes are designed to fit tightly that they fit well in such a broad swath?  Often, the reason that shoes don't fit is that they are too tight, a less likely problem in a shoe designed to fit tightly.

6:37 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

As far as the price of the Treksports I would like to think that more research and development costs were associated with producing these than the average shoe or boot. Maybe so, maybe not, but I was very pleased with the pair I tested, it was a whole new experience in footwear for me.

I often go barefooted or wear sandals of some kind, the Treksports took minimum footwear to a whole new level for me, I had the flexibility of the entire foot including toes, coupled with adequate protection from most of the things that can hurt my feet.

It was just cool to wear them and I personally will buy a pair if I wear these out.

10:33 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Thanks, Alicia, and everyone who responded on this.  That sounds like a good idea ... just try 'em on using a pair of those special socks.

I do see your point, though, Trouthunter ... it's a newish product, hence they're still trying to recoup their R&D costs.  Maybe it'll work out that I can buy a pair when REI has one of their 20% off coupons going ... I think that'll be soon, since they usually come out with the dividend checks...

Well, in another month...

Looking for your 2010 dividend?

Check back after March 13, 2011 for your new balance, updated at the end of our fiscal year.

10:49 p.m. on February 17, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,995 forum posts

Whether you consider buying Vibrams at a physical store or online, buy from a reputable dealer.

Vibram FiveFingers are one of the more counterfeited products out there.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/counterfeits/index.html

1:32 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I always wanted to try rock climbing with those?Has anybody tried it? is it cool? Usefull? Useless?

1:36 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
19 reviewer rep
160 forum posts

The shoes don't fit or run normal sizes, Vibrams site even recommends and tells you how to measure you foot for proper sizing.

These shoes are designed to run snug against the back of the heal and the big toe should be butted up against the end of the toe pocket.

The Treksport's are more money simply because of the different materials being used. As the KSO's and others run about 85$.

I really recommend people who haven't purchased these or done the whole barefoot thing should go with the KSO's first before getting the KSO Treksports.

I've been wearing mine every day as a regular shoe, and over the past two weeks I have seen increased foot strength and my posture has completely changed.

But they take a lot of time to adjust to. It's easier going barefoot around your house, then going barefoot to Walmart and elsewhere.

5:40 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
664 forum posts

Bheiser, glad to hear you're inching and not itching.

Climbing? The KSOs are pretty grippy and fun enough for friction moves, but useless for climbing that involves edging or toe work.

As I mentioned in another thread I have been running in them for a couple of months (alternating with conventional running shoes) and just recently did a couple of short, moderately rough day hikes in them.  I'd want to make sure my feet were good and strong before doing anything like backpacking. But yeah, I can see it. A friend of ours was one of the original "Barefoot Girls" that did the whole Long Trail in VT barefoot, but then, she was 18 and I'm more than 3x that age...

9:37 p.m. on March 12, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I really recommend people who haven't purchased these or done the whole barefoot thing should go with the KSO's first before getting the KSO Treksports.

Mikekey, why is this?  If I buy a pair, I'd like to do it once, not multiple times ... and the Trek Sport (with the beefier sole) seems better suited to how I'd anticipate using them (e.g. in the outdoors, on trails, etc).

I'm curious about the reasoning behind your recommendation, thanks!

1:28 p.m. on March 13, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Big Red said:

Climbing? The KSOs are pretty grippy and fun enough for friction moves, but useless for climbing that involves edging or toe work.

I am not a climber, I do hike in really steep rocky terrain at times and I would agree.

One of the reasons I like stiff (half or 3/4 shank) full leather boots is for the support they offer with only part of my foot on a rock (edging). You will not get that kind of support with Treksports.

They will however grip rocks very well by allowing the sole to wrap around the rock, although my experience is this can strain your foot if you do it for extended periods or with a load. Of course the stronger your foot is the better you can handle it, I guess.

4:21 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I've never seen these things before. Not for me, I can't stand having my toes touching the front of my shoes. Makes fitting ski boots a bit hard though.

As for counterfeiting, very interesting link, Alicia.  Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay, sure enough, there are over 600 auctions for these shoes, even though Vibram says they do not allow selling on auction sites. A few were used, but virtually all were brand new.  Based on Vibram's site, I guess we have to presume the ones on eBay are fakes.

3:18 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Back in January I went to an REI used gear sale and they had a ton of these things that had been returned. The average price for the returns were a little over $20. I had a hard time getting my toes in them and never did find a pair that really fit me so I didn't buy a pair. I'm going to go again the next time they have a used gear sale that I can make it and try again. From my experience I would difinately say try them on before you buy and if you have an REI close to you maybe a used gear sale is the way to go before you spend that kind of money on something your not sure you want.

12:08 a.m. on May 3, 2011 (EDT)
122 reviewer rep
69 forum posts

Fila Skeletoes have just came out for half the price and it appears in direct competition with VFF. 

I own a pair of KSO Treks and love them. I have researched other shoe makers that contend with minimalist or barefoot views and so far, VFF wins out in my opinion.

I would like to see how Fila's Skeletoes far the course.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply