safety/survival/first aid

4:10 p.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I recommend a section on these topics. We could share stories, mishaps, warnings and advise. Also add a sub-section with articles on the topics. I bet the site would have more subscribers looking for information. Very important information. Thank you.

12:17 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I recommend a section on these topics. We could share stories, mishaps, warnings and advise. Also add a sub-section with articles on the topics. I bet the site would have more subscribers looking for information. Very important information. Thank you.

I m in with D-Dogs idea and think it's a very good idea as well. So many members with so much knowledge to share..Great idea D-Dog

9:14 a.m. on March 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Kudos on this idea. I am all for it.

9:03 p.m. on March 23, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Good idea, I like it also. I already have a few ideas for articles.

3:10 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

Well if it includes mishaps (or near mishaps) I'll share my "nearly got bitten in the face by a rattlesnake" story. 

4:29 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Actually when i was in California I placed my fishing rod down. When I went to pick it up I looked down and realized I was about to pick up a young rattler basking on a rock instead of rod. The reptile did not make any sound-whew.

7:26 p.m. on March 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah the lil ones are bad business. They hit and typically drain their venom glands one bite. Sometimes people get bit by mature snakes and its a dry bite(no venom.) When I was a kid I caught a baby copperhead in a shoe box and took it home. The parents were not real happy but I was known to catch all kinds of stuff as a kid. I remember catching a female black widow one time in a mason jar in my uncles garden and walking up to him saying "this spider is cool." He about had a coronary to say the least.

6:22 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I've got lots of snake stories too, mostly stupid and lucky.  (Another reason I like high top boots.)  I learned to carry a long arc shaped stick whenever bushwhacking, using it to probe around the blind sides of brush and rocks to reduce the chance I step on something.  Never did figure out how to avoid encountering snakes while rock climbing, I once grabbed a rattler while going for a hand hold over head - thank God I wasn't free climbing - and thank God my belay didn't let go when I flung the snake down practically into his lap! 

Now If I can figure a way to prevent stepping on yellow jacket nests; it's a bitch trying to outrun a nest of them angry buggers while chuggin' up hill through dense ground cover.

Ed

11:49 a.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ahhhh, yellow jackets. Yep been there. I had a run in with a type of bee(looked like a bumble bee only smaller in size) that burrows into the ground. They were pretty mean and there really wasn't much warning of their presence other than them flying up my shorts and stinging me as much as the could. Guess they werent happy that my size 12 was on top of their house. That was a real bad time.

They have the rattle snake roundups here every year. They find Eastern Diamondbacks on a regular basis. That's a big nasty snake to run into.

Back to the topic. I really feel a first aid/personal safety forum would be a great addition. Being prepared doesn't consist of just buying a first aid kit and placing it in your pack. It also has alot to do with the knowledge of what to do when it matters most.

7:45 p.m. on March 27, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I like the idea also, I held an EMT/I cetrifcation for 6 years before I let it expire. A first aid kit leaves a lot to be desired.

12:35 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Has anybody used the quikclot product? Is there another product that is better at blood clotting? I looking to add it to my first aid kit.

1:02 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Has anybody used the quikclot product? Is there another product that is better at blood clotting? I looking to add it to my first aid kit.

D-Dog quick clot works well. it's used in emergency rooms all the time as well as the battlefield..I augement my FA kit when with a group as opposed to just myself at times..Also get some crazy glue thats used as well..It does help coaqulate cuts and works better than bandaids. Thats also used in hospitals as well...Great idea again...

1:24 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I agree with the crazy glue. Worked well when a piece of wood went thru my upper lip while using a maul(user negligence.)

4:32 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Awesome. I will buy the quikclot at the base exchange for this weekend's hike. I will also buy for the car. I  had to perform life saving first aid on an airman in a serious accident about 10 years ago. I could have used a blood clotting material. All the bandages were used up in the kit trying to stop the bleeding waiting for the ambulance-and we are required to have large kits in the cars. Thanks. Rick, I heard about crazy glue working like a charm. Plus, it can be used for other things-repairs. I will add to the FA kit as well. Thanks.

5:51 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Awesome. I will buy the quikclot at the base exchange for this weekend's hike. I will also buy for the car. I  had to perform life saving first aid on an airman in a serious accident about 10 years ago. I could have used a blood clotting material. All the bandages were used up in the kit trying to stop the bleeding waiting for the ambulance-and we are required to have large kits in the cars. Thanks. Rick, I heard about crazy glue working like a charm. Plus, it can be used for other things-repairs. I will add to the FA kit as well. Thanks.

I wanted to bring this up becuase it's important..Is everyone aware that the procedures to CPR have changed as of last year? I would suggest to anyone to look into it for recertification and the new procedures..Haveing talked to 3 Nurse's and a Doctor this was brought to my attention...Compressions are the 1 priority now.get the heart pumping...

6:51 p.m. on March 28, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,015 forum posts

Just to clarify the request, are you interested in an additional forum (in addition to backcountry, gear selection, etc) covering "safety/survival/first aid"?

Or maybe a sub-forum of backcountry?

Do you feel like you can't already discuss those topics in Backcounty or Beginners or Gear Selection (as appropriate)?

Or is it that you think these topics warrant their own forum and would generate more conversation if given their own forum?

Reorganizing the forums by topic and/or type of activity is something we keep thinking about. The one drawback is that if you add too many forums and subforums they spread out the conversation and become less active overall.

Thanks in advance for more feedback and comments.

1:04 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

My personal opinion after a bit of thought is give it its own forum for 2 reasons.

1) This could potentially be a rather large, diverse subject to say the least that could go in many directions.

2) Simplicity. It would be alot easier to pinpoint what type of info one is seeking as opposed to going thru threads on a scavenger hunt looking for the info one seeks(ie- problems that can happen at altitude as opposed to what can happen on the trail.) Not to mention safety/survival/first aid are 3 topics of discussion when compared to each other.

1:09 p.m. on March 29, 2011 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thank you Alicia. I would like to see it as its own forum too.

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply