Defaulted to Mobile Layout

8:40 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Dave,

A few minutes ago, when I navigated to trailspace.com on my desktop computer (pc, winxp pro, IE8) it loaded what apeared to be a mobile interface. I looked at the url, and it did not have an "M" prefix, but the page had a "Full Site" button, which I clicked. The full site then loaded, and it hasn't defaulted to the mobile page since.

Just thought you'd want to know- C

9:40 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

So, the good news: as you discovered, we soft-launched the Trailspace mobile site last night!

The bad new: it looks like the browser-detection code we're using is perhaps a bit too liberal in defining "mobile browser." (In your case, it looks like we're mistaking Bing-optimized Internet Explorer for a phone on the o2 network...)  I'll see about tweaking that.

Thanks for letting me know.

9:50 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Mobile site is fantastic!

10:02 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks!

12:52 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ya always come up with some kind of surprise for us huh? Great job Dave.

Now if I could only figure out where my edit, quote and other tabs that were in the bottom right went...

12:57 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks, Rick. Maybe I stripped away a bit too much in the forum view. I'll see if I can at least work the edit button back in there.

1:22 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is on the desktop site.

1:23 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Hmm, nothing should have changed there.

Anybody else missing your reply/quote/edit buttons?

3:01 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

All on the full site for me.

How do pm's work on the mobile?

4:15 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

nothing missing here.

4:39 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Rick: any chance you're looking an an old/locked thread? Or are the buttons missing in this thread too?

Cleric: PMs didn't make it into this first version. For now you'll have to switch over to the full site for them.

6:41 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I will check with this response.... Ok, here is what is going on, I can see the bottom line for each of the 3 tabs but that is it. No words(edit, quote, etc.) Just 3 lines where the tabs are supposed to be.

6:47 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Now I can't get on them to edit... I am also seeing 2 lines on everyones response here which are opposite side from "was this helpful?" There are 3 on my last one and 2 on everyone elses...

7:14 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Dave I also had a pop up that came up as a multi colored code that was labeled as Trailspace developer tools. This is the second time I have noticed that.

9:16 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Rick - which browser are you using? 

Dave - No worries on the PM's for mobile.  The overall change is way more significant than that for me!

9:30 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

WOW!!!!   Excellent!!! :)

I recall a thread about this a while back, and it's funny, just within the past couple days I thought about going to TS from my iPhone, and decided against it ... too tedious with all the panning and pinching.  I was wondering if a mobile interface (or app) would be forthcoming.

Thanks, Dave, the new interface looks great on the iPhone!  I'll definitely be using it on a regular basis.

9:31 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

And here is a reply from the iPhone.

9:44 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, sorry, just a couple questions. Is it possible to use a slightly larger font in the text editor? The one now us smaller than anywhere else on the site and us old folks have trouble seeing it :-)

Also us the 'quote' feature feasible?

Either way it is great to have this interface available!

9:45 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

P.s. And the edit feature? :-)

9:57 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks, Bill. Good call on the font size -- not sure how that one snuck by us! I will also add the "edit" button back in. (Though look at what its absence just did for your post count!)

In the interest of keeping the mobile interface really clean and uncluttered, I'll probably keep the "quote" button out, at least for the time being.

9:58 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Cleric, I just switched over to Google chrome just now. Dave brought up a point to me I haven't thought of. I recently installed a HD cam/software. I was originally using Explorer 8 but since I have installed the cam 7 is being utilized(thanks for the heads up Dave.) Anywho, I am using Chrome now so I will see if this makes a difference. 

Ok, I got my tabs back. Hmmmmm that's odd. 

10:02 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Dave said:

In the interest of keeping the mobile interface really clean and uncluttered, I'll probably keep the "quote" button out, at least for the time being.

Funny, I just saw the quote tab when I was on my phone and was gonna use it but I was having a problem and I didn't think the best way to address it was from my phones browser. Anyway I guess I will be using Chrome from now on.

10:07 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Understood about keeping the interface clean. We can live without quoting, it just helps maintain the context of a reply.

Along the same lines I was wondering if there is a way to add the date / and / or author of the most recent poster in the forum topic list, like on the PC interface. It would be very useful (otherwise have to enter the forum and scroll to the bottom to see if there is anything new) but it might be hard to add it without seeming cluttered.

10:09 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Oh, the 'you will be automatically directed to your message' isn't true :-) though the 'click to continue' works fine.

10:17 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Oh I just found a neat way to quickly scroll to the top of a thread from the bottom. Just tap in the message reply text box (but don't type anything), then hit the 'previous' button that appears, and then hit 'done' :-).

I am still poking around for a shortcut to scroll to the bottom though :-)

1:04 a.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Thanks for the excellent feedback, Bill. I will get on all of this after OR.

FYI, on the iPhone you can scroll to the top of any web page by just tapping the status bar (signal strength, time, battery). This also works scrollable content in other apps.

11:50 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Oh, thanks Dave! :)

1:37 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, FYI, I noticed another little thing with the new mobile site (on iPhone 4, IOS 4.3.5). When responding to a thread, if you type enough to fill the little text field, and it starts to scroll, you can't scroll back to review/edit your text. If you scroll, the thread scrolls, not the text area content.

I tried to do this when typing my message about the hummingbird, to proof read it before posting. I couldn't scroll, so posted without proofing. Sure enough, as I noticed after posting, I had renamed my tent to 'Bug Agnes' :-/. And I couldn't edit so there it is :-).

No biggie, at least it wasn't a bad autocorrect... but being able to scroll in the text area would be helpful.

Thanks!

9:53 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

I'll see if I can add something in there to auto-expand the size of the textarea as you type.

In the meantime, on the iPhone you should be be able to scroll the contents of the textarea with a two-fingered swipe.

(This should work for any in-page scrollable area on any site.)

1:13 a.m. on August 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Hmmm thanks Dave. No need to change anything, the two-fingered swipe you suggested works fine.

Geeze, I guess I better read up on iPhone tips. I've had it for 8 months and apparently there are still basic things I don't know about it.

3:52 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

I noticed that the "mobile" version is what Trailspace automatically puts on my much larger iPad screen. At least there is a tab to revert to the regular view. The "mobile" is ok on the BBerry, though.

3:56 p.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Trailspace shows up on my Droid 2 fine(bout to be Droid 3) in the standard version. I just double tap or pinch to zoom to make it right. 

10:15 a.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Mobile is fine in iPhone 4 with a small exception of the forum reply page.  Just a tiny bit too large. 1 or 2 characters of each line get hidden outside the margin as you type.  Easy enough to scroll left and right to read though.

9:22 a.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Hmm, I haven't seen that. Could you point me to a thread or two where you've seen this happening?

10:08 a.m. on August 21, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

It only happens when typing a comment or reply.  I'll try a test and send a screen shot.

10:38 a.m. on August 24, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

I haven't been able to reproduce f_klock's problem here. Is anybody else seeing this (reply text running off the side of the screen), or something similar?

photo.png

12:47 a.m. on September 9, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Interesting, I'm not seeing that either. I am using the iPhone 4 running IOS 4.3.5.

11:33 a.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

@f_klock:  It appears you have International keyboards configured (note the little globe symbol next to the space bar).  Are you using something other than the default (in the US anyway), "English", or have you changed any of the default keyboard settings?

9:56 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

The keyboard window opens and fits just fine, it what's on the viewing screen that requires panning, left and right in order to read it all. The Globe, visible when the qwerty is in use indicates that that (qwerty) is what is in use.  The "Intl." keyboard I have installed is for emoticons only, no text characters.

10:15 p.m. on September 10, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Are you running IOS 4.3.5 or an earlier release?

10:02 p.m. on September 11, 2011 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

1:57 a.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Try as I might I haven't been able to reproduce this. Hmmm...

2:00 a.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

However I have run into something else. When reading the recent scrambled eggs article, the table doesn't fit the screen (of course) but also isn't scrollable/resizable etc. Viewing it in landscape mode is better but it still looks like the right-hand edge gets chopped off.

10:38 a.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

Certain editorial content (especially tables) is really, really difficult to make work in both mobile and desktop. This is one of those cases where, unfortunately, we somewhat had to sacrifice the mobile experience in order to make something that would work for the majority of users, who are viewing the article it on the full/desktop site.

10:26 p.m. on September 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Dave, yeah, that's what I figured.  "one would think" there would be a way to switch certain content into a "scroll" (e.g. horizontal scroll) mode but I guess not :).

6:34 a.m. on September 23, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

There is a style rule that controls scrolling, but unfortunately it's baked into our sitewide template and I don't have a good way to override it on a page-by-page basis.

2:27 a.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Is there a URL for the mobile site?  The site doesn't detect my WebOs browser.

1:11 p.m. on November 9, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I like this mobile interface. I prefer a good interface over full browser when on my iPhone. Thanks for the ever evolving site!

8:55 a.m. on November 10, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

@ocalacomputerguy: The mobile site runs on the same URLs as the full site. You can switch from the full site to mobile from any page via the "Mobile Site" link in the footer -- bottom left, next to the One Percent logo.

@giftogab: Thanks! Glad it works well for you.

12:27 a.m. on November 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

I am enjoying the new mobile interface too. The only thing is, I find I do more reading-only and less posting/participating when using the site this way. Part of it is that it's not all that convenient to type a message of any length on the iPhone, but there's also that I can't quote msgs or edit them once posted. Nevertheless it is very convenient for browsing :-).

3:49 p.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
943 forum posts

@bheiser1: I just added an "edit" link to the mobile site.

"Quote" is a little bit problematic because the GUI editor isn't compatible with many mobile browsers, so trying to quote would confront you with an input area full of HTML. That's not exactly a good user experience, and likely very error-prone, so we're going to leave "quote" out of the mobile interface for now.

10:06 p.m. on November 14, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Cool, thanks Dave.

I just tested 'edit' and it works great. Too bad about the quote function, oh well.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply